My new (to me) 349 Master Mariner

Started by George4741, July 29, 2011, 04:26:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alto Mare

Or we could ask Dom to sell us some, I'm sure he has one for everyone here ;).

Nice job George! My kind of guy. You know, I still use some of those with the steel spool and love them. Waight doesn't bother me much.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

George4741

C'mon Keta, get your 349's in fighting shape.  :) 

I recently bought another 349.  I was hoping it was in the slower 2.3:1 ratio so I could try out my drag mod on it, too.  It turned out to be the faster ratio, darn it!  Trying to get the correct gear ratio info from ebay sellers is next to impossible.

Thank you for the words of encouragement, Sal.  It's good to see that there are many of us out here who appreciate and keep the old obsolescent Penns in fishing order. 
viurem lliures o morirem

reelynuts

In your original post you stated that through your calculations that your reels gear ratio was 3.2:1. I think it is the same as what Penn is considering the 3.25:1 . Im not sure how you measured, but your measurement versus what they claim is so close that it is nearly impossible to notice a difference so Penn may have just rounded it off to prevent confusion. Similarly if you converted this gear ratio into money we would be talking about $3.20 versus $3.25. These days a nickle is worthless :). Just my two cents :)

redsetta

This was posted on Stripers by a chap named George (any relation George?), which may add to the discussion:
QuoteThe 149 (Mariner) came with a chrome-plated brass spool, which was changed to an aluminium spool (model 149L). The side plates have only the inside metal chrome-plated rings. Gear ratio is 2.1 to 1.
The 49 (Super Mariner) has the extra lever which removes the anti-reverse, allowing the reel to free spool with the handle engaged (same as the 140 Squidder). Penn called this the 'convertible star drag'. Both sides of the end plates have chrome-plated rings and the gear ratio is 3.5 to 1.
Both the 149 and the 49 use the 24-49 handle which is the longest conventional handle Penn used.
The 349 (Master Mariner) has both sides of the end plate bound with chrome-plated rings, with the inside ones also having rings at the top - to which you can attach a harness.
It uses a handle which as three different holes to vary the torque (part 24-349).
It does not have the lever to remove the anti-reverse.
The gear ratio is 2.3:1 on the older ones and 3.25:1 on the newer ones.
When 349s were made with the 2.3:1 gear ratio, a 349H was cataloged with the 3.25:1 gear ratio.
A 349HC was also cataloged with a 3.25:1 gear ratio and with the anti-reverse lever.
Both the 49 and the 149 were available with a plastic spool or with a chrome-plated brass spool (letter 'M' was added to the model number).
'L' on the model number is for the later black aluminium spool.
Information gleaned from Penn catalog 30B dated 1968.
Hope that's of some interest.
All the best, Justin
PS I'm mad keen on a 349H, so if one comes up, by all means get in touch.  ;)
Fortitudine vincimus - By endurance we conquer

George4741

No Justin, that wasn't my post on Stripers.  Good info, though. 

A week or so ago, A chap was selling two NOS 349's with boxes on ebay for $110 each.  Too steep for me, especially when I wouldn't fish with one for fear I would scratch it.  They didn't last long.  There are usually several listed on ebay.  I bought mine cheap, but then they are working reels, not showpieces.

George   
viurem lliures o morirem

redsetta

Cheers George.
Haven't yet summoned the courage to purchase on the-bay from New Zealand.
Looked longingly several times though.  ;)
I agree re: US$110 - I like to fish 'em, too...
Might tap one of my Tani mates eventually to sort one and post it down...  ;D
By the way, we have a site here that - from time to time - has good-quality Penns etc: www.trademe.co.nz/
If you spot something that piques your interest, I'm happy to sort and send it...
All the best, Justin
PS What's 'NOS'?

George4741

Quote from: redsetta on February 09, 2012, 06:07:06 AM
PS What's 'NOS'?

New - old stock.

BTW, thanks for the info on the "trademe" website.  It's interesting to see what is available in other parts of the world.
viurem lliures o morirem

redsetta

G'day George,
Do you happen to know if Alan's S/S 113H gear sleeve will fit in a standard 349?
Thanks, Justin

George4741

Quote from: redsetta on February 15, 2012, 11:44:42 PM
G'day George,
Do you happen to know if Alan's S/S 113H gear sleeve will fit in a standard 349?
Thanks, Justin

The bridge and gear sleeves are the same part number for the 349, 349H, and 349HC.  I fitted a stock brass 113H gear sleeve in my 349H and it works fine.  I imagine Alan's S/S 113H will fit, as well.

Regards, George

viurem lliures o morirem

redsetta

broadway

Sal,
    You're one modest fellow... I've seen a taste of your amazing collection when you show us photos whether in tutorials, drag checking, or cabinet making  ;)
...and I know that is just the tip of the iceberg!
You guys keep those mariners alive and kicking... and I'll keep the Senators going!  ...I only have one 49 (mint) and one 349 (not in great shape)
Thanks
Dom