Old Hickory rod

Started by droppedit, May 20, 2018, 12:48:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

droppedit

Over the last few years I've been doing a lot of work for Bullseye54. John always gives me a new challenge and figured I'd share the last one. He previously asked about some old guides and was looking for a new or used set. He stripped the hickory blank down and gave me the guides and said go to it but wrap it like another hickory I did for him. The rod itself wasn't too bad with the exception of the "hull" shape. Made it quite interesting on the lathe. The problem was what to do with the grip. There seemed to be an insert between the felt that looked like a strand of caning.  It had a rounded top and no matter how I tried I could not get thread to lay down without major gaps or overlaps. John suggested using some old linen line so he sent me a spool, did the wraps and tied it off with a little nylon. Now I had this huge lump where the thread all met. I used a coat of high build rod finish just for the ramps. After this cured I used a scalpel to cut off the lumps at each end and did 2 more coats of finish. This worked out very good and now was able to finish the windings on the ramps and give the rod 2 coats of spar varnish. I'll post some before and after pics. Thanks John for the work as it is always a pleasure to add another rod to your collection.

Dave

Before

Some days the supply of available curse words is insufficient to meet my demands.

http://www.turnerscustomrods.com

droppedit

After

Some days the supply of available curse words is insufficient to meet my demands.

Swami805

Just a beautiful job, the grain of the wood really pops, it's jaw dropping. Thanks for posting
Do what you can with that you have where you are

theswimmer

Wow , what a cool rod and beautiful work.
Best,
JT
There is nothing like lying flat on your back on the deck, alone except for the helmsman aft at the wheel, silence except for the lapping of the sea against the side of the ship. At that time you can be equal to Ulysses and brother to him.

Errol Flynn

oldmanjoe

:)     That is a fine job ...    Makes me want to fine some Hickory now  .
Grandpa`s words of wisdom......Joey that thing between your shoulders is not a hat rack.....    use it.....
A mind is like a parachute, it only work`s  when it is open.......
The power of Observation   , It`s all about the Details ..
 Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.   Alto Mare

oc1

You make really nice things Dave.
-steve

whalebreath

Quote from: Swami805 on May 20, 2018, 01:09:12 PMJust a beautiful job, the grain of the wood really pops, it's jaw dropping. Thanks for posting
Yes it's probably the nicest one I've ever seen-outstanding work.

droppedit

Thanks for the good words guys! I'll have another unique project in the works right now that I'll share soon.

Dave

happyhooker

Impressive--very unique.

Frank