Harnell Unlimited rod question ?

Started by 54bullseye, May 19, 2018, 09:23:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

UKChris1

Some photos of my two Harnell Royal rods:
The first are of the labels on the Royal VII unlimited rod then a picture of the dark green I used to replace the mottled pale green original overwrap (as I couldn't get that colour).
Next is the Harnell Royal V 80lb label then the 80 and unlimited side-by-side. You can see just how much stouter the unlimited rod is.
Then a close-up of the tips, again showing how stout this rod is.
Finally a quick shot of my chair rod tips in their rack. The white blank to the left of the Harnell is a G. Loomis 130 that I'm going to build into a real monster-stopper. According to my old Harnell catalogue the unlimited blank weighs 24 1/2 oz as a bare blank. The Loomis weights 34 1/2 oz as a bare blank! Phew.IMG_5757.JPGIMG_5758.JPGIMG_5759.JPGIMG_5760.JPGIMG_5761.JPGIMG_5762.JPGIMG_5763.JPGIMG_5764.JPG       

1badf350

Just to bring this topic full circle. I recently got a rod just like John's. This one has the label on it.

-Chris

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I require the same from them."
John Wayne as J.B. Books in "The Shootist"

JasonGotaProblem

Any machine is a smoke machine if you use it wrong enough.

oc1

I always liked that color scheme better than the red and gold.

JasonGotaProblem

Any machine is a smoke machine if you use it wrong enough.

UKChris1

The mottled light green was the colour of both my rods' overwraps but they needed replacing. I couldn't get that colour so went with dark green.

I had read in a couple of books a reference to Harnell rods being 'double built'. I never really understood what thet meant since they could not be double-built in the same way a split cane rod can be. However, I see that the label on your rod says 'DOUBLE BUILT by Harnell'. I guess that is the origin of the comment I'd read, but I still don't know what is meant by it.

Any clues anyone?