Am I Ready for the big dawgs yet?

Started by Eddie Hernandez, May 23, 2018, 07:03:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eddie Hernandez

I have repaired several small reels for my buddy and he has been impressed and now he has asked me if I would be interested in servicing his big offshore reels!
The first reel he wants me to service is a Shimano Tyrnos 50, I have to admit im a bit nervous about working on these big offshore reels. Can anyone share some solid advice on my approach with these reels?

thx

eddie

handi2

Eddie the bigger they are the easier they are. For me anyway. No little fiddly parts.

Take pictures at each step. Read the tutorials.

Keith
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

Reel 224

Take pictures is one that will save your butt, ask me, I learned the hard way.

Joe
"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."

Hardy Boy

I would agree with Keith. The bigger parts are easier to work with. If you can do the small reels you can do the big ones. Once you do a few reels you start to see the similarities in the designes. Take pics if you have to and come up with a system that works for you when you lay the parts out and do it the same every time. In the past I printed some tutorials out and put them in binders for reference.

Cheers:

Todd
Todd

boon

Things like the Tyrnos are easy, as mentioned they're just like a huge version of something like a TLD15. Only gotcha really is the 2-speed mechanism and they are usually pretty simple.

It gets trickier when you get into some of the goldies as some of them have more complex drag systems.

akfish

The Shimano 2-speed mechanism is among the easiest to work on. I think your real issue is working on a lever drag. If you've only done little reels, have you gotten into lever drags yet? They're simple but very different than star drags. Pop it open and get to work. If you have questions, I'm not the only one here that can help you.
Taku Reel Repair
Juneau, Alaska

Eddie Hernandez

Thank you all!!! I will tackle this reel soon!