Started by sharkman, January 07, 2021, 10:03:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

foakes

Any of the largest DQ's are excellent — 270, 275, 550, 550N, 5000, 5001 — for surf fishing.

As are the large Penns —700, 704, 706, 850SS, etc..

Always good to have an extra spool loaded with fresh line of choice when surf fishing.

The 270 & 550 are simple, relatively inexpensive, overly-built and engineered — and spools will interchange.

For me, simple and strong is the best — since any extra tiny parts will be the ones that fail and need replacement.

When fishing the surf — serious demands are put on the angler as well as their choice of equipment.

These reels will take the punishment that serious surf fishing demands.

You can push any reel — but you never can tell how hollow a tree is — until you push on it and see it collapse.

A good, capable rod is as important (probably more so) as the reel.

In an experienced anglers hands, the rod will do most of the work — act as an adjustable buffer between you and the fish — and the reel will retrieve line as the rod action (steady, good feel, pump back on the rod, crank down to retrieve line) is worked effectively.  The reel will only do around 1/3 of the work.  The angler does 1/3, and the rod does 1/3.

Don't spend a fortune on surf gear — but get what is effective and will capably hold up.

And service your gear often.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

thorhammer

I've a 5000 a swell- it's a BEAST, but I'd no qualms about tackling a fifty lb old drum, cobia or king mack on the 550 if serviced. NONE.

Rods- goes to price point, and what you want to do with it. If I was gonna sling 4-8 oz and bait, then Prevail, Tsunami and similar will do a nice job around a hundred bucks. Lures, find a lighter action. As far as a cheaper glass rod, they may be ok soaking bait and 4 oz but they don't cast far with heavier weights, being spongy (like uglystick).  Okuma has a surf series with cork tape handle I like, decently stiff with nice tip, for under a 100, thats what the 550 is on. It will easily chunk six oz and a mullet head.

BCT7

Quote from: foakes on February 12, 2021, 04:55:49 PM
Any of the largest DQ's are excellent — 270, 275, 550, 550N, 5000, 5001 — for surf fishing.

As are the large Penns —700, 704, 706, 850SS, etc..

Always good to have an extra spool loaded with fresh line of choice when surf fishing.

The 270 & 550 are simple, relatively inexpensive, overly-built and engineered — and spools will interchange.

For me, simple and strong is the best — since any extra tiny parts will be the ones that fail and need replacement.

Agree the 550 is surprisingly simple to break down and clean. I had problems cleaning mine up because parts were fused together due to lack of service but now that they are cleaned and greased, servicing this reel will be much easier. I have not fish with my 550 but it just feel solid. I still like to remove the paint one of these days and polish it, or maybe repaint it but for now how it is will work fine. The paint are chipped here and there, and it kinda drives me nuts but I remind myself that I am fishing with my little boy so things usually end up covered with mud and crap anyway lol.

The price is relatively inexpensive which helps.