reel advice

Started by Fishermantpr, March 12, 2010, 12:02:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fishermantpr

Hi Alan,

First off, thanks for this great site.

I am looking in to some new gear for this coming season I generally fish 3 or 4 2-3 day tuna trips a year out of SD, I am upgrading from a Penn 505 and a few Okuma convectors. All have served me well but like I said up grade time.
I am going with the Baja Special for 30 and 40 lbs line class, I know these are probobly over kill but I can always use them later for heavier line if I get the chance to go on longer trips.
So the question is for 20 and 25 lbs, what are your thoughts on either the Penn 975 csld or Newell 229? I have read your tutorials on these reels and think that with proper maintenence both will serve me well, which do you feel is the better build quality and is going to offer the most longevity? Any other suggestions on a reel in this line class?

Thanks

akfish

You can fish up to 30# on the 975 but it won't cast as well as the Newell.
Taku Reel Repair
Juneau, Alaska

alantani

send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Fishermantpr

Thank you.
Given proper maintenence wich reel do you feel will offer the most longevity?
Can spectra be used on a graphite reel?

alantani

the gap between the spool and side plate rings of the newell might be too wide.  if spectra gets caught, it could be a real mess.  it is less likely that such a problem will occur with the penn.  with proper maintenance, both reels should last forever!

redsetta

Hi Alan,
I'm wondering if you could rate my gear in terms of how I've matched rod to reel to drag to line. Any advice is gratefully received.

• Shimano Backbone (6-10kg)--Shimano Calcutta 400--Original graphite drag--20lb braid
  • Daiwa VIP (15-40lb)--Daiwa 300dx Dynastar--Carbontek--30lb Spectra
  • Shimano Backbone Elite LBG (15-24kg)--Shimano 6500btr--Carbontek--50lb Spectra
Cheers.
Fortitudine vincimus - By endurance we conquer

alantani

i'm not familiar with the rods you have, and some of the reels, but here is some reading for you.  take a look and let me know what you think!  alan

http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=290.0

redsetta

Fortitudine vincimus - By endurance we conquer

NachoOne

That was an outstanding read! Thanks for all your information and I am putting it to use.

SoCalAngler

Fisher,

Do you have a price point in mind? Are you looking to go all aluminum or is a graphite frame ok? Also one reel you mention is a star drag and the other is a lever drag, does it matter to you which kind of drag the reel has?

I picked up a Saltist BG 20H to fish that pound tests and like the reel alot but I have yet test it on any hard chargers like tuna and tails. Also you may want to look a Avet SX, MXJ or MXL depending on the yardage you want on your reel as all three have the same drags.

EDIT: I just saw this was a old post, sorry.