July 8th Blood

Started by Tightlines667, July 09, 2018, 05:20:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tightlines667

blufin10
Name:John
Boat:Hi'ilawe - 78Dyer29
Rounded up a few friends to join us for some offshore fishing on my dad's last day in town. We got a late start, and headed out the chanel at 0445.

Hit the 1000fa at 0530 and set the spread. I hung a left and worked our way down to the Barber's pinnacle. After a few passes, while working our way back up the deep side, had a fish erupt on the short corner slant. I kept the boat truckin along while the spool emptied and some time later a fish blew up on the short flat, but came free as soon as the flatline clip popped. 25 minutes later after tye guys took turns cranking a nice ahi popped up in tye wake tail first. He wasn't wrapped, but rather hooked right through the caudal peduncle. Guess it was a good thing I was running tandum hooks. Fish was nearly dead, and barely moved a muscle on the spike and spine.

Got back on the troll and worked the area and birds for a few more hours without a bite. Found a nice pile of marine debris, stopped/chumed /baited/jigged, no one home. Trolled out to the Waianae Pinnacle, and out beyond a few miles, no life. Seas kicked up, bucked uphill for a 1.5 hours to get back to the 1000fa. Worked back up towards where we started, and took a solid double knickdown on the two riggers straight outside Ko'olina. As we were clearing the cockpit the one fish pulled the hook. Brough the other 2 gaff w/o incident. Worked a bit longer, then back to the dock at 4:30pm. Dropped both fish (116lb&82lb) on the block by 6pm.

Nice day to be on the water, and a good way to close out my dad's trip.

John
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

Tightlines667

Pics
Hope springs eternal

Gobi King

nice! are those sacks full of fish eggs?
Shibs - aka The Gobi King
Fichigan

Gfish

Cool! Interesting vivid description and great pictures. If I read enough a your fishing adventure posts, I'mina get everything yer talkin bout. Keep groovin baby!
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

Tightlines667

Quote from: Gobi King on July 09, 2018, 06:59:02 PM

Those are fully mature and ripe ovaries.  You can tell alot about what the YFT are up to bybexamining theit ovaries.  In particular you are looking for..

Fullness, presence of eggs, if hydration exists between eggs, if eggs themselves are hydrated(can see individual yolks), and if eggd are free and possible present in the oviducts.  Also, if some eggs are being reabsorbed (not hydrated, while others are fully hydrated.

In this case we have a fully mature fish, with partial hydration between eggs, but not in the eggs themselves.  This indicates the animal can be ready to spawn within a day or several, but has not been actively spawning the last several days, all will not spawn that evening/night.  Fish that are fully hydtated with running ripe eggs just spawned the night before, or will spawn that night.  Active spawning fish are much more active and more likely to be caught on trolled lures.  More then likely we are on the front end on the second series of YFT spawning events, so fishing should be improvong this week.

Always worth a look at the gonads, and stomach contents.

John
Hope springs eternal

steelfish

great fishing john

do you eat the fish roe?
The Baja Guy

Dominick

Alex the last time I looked we are carnivores.  We eat everything.  :D ;D Seriously John is the roe edible?  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Tightlines667

Quote from: steelfish on July 09, 2018, 08:43:59 PM
great fishing john

do you eat the fish roe?

Quote from: Dominick on July 09, 2018, 09:00:44 PM
Alex the last time I looked we are carnivores.  We eat everything.  :D ;D Seriously John is the roe edible?  Dominick

I don't.  I have eaten it, along with testies, tuna stomach, and the heart before.  This was on the longline boats.  The fillapinos love them fried.  I, myself did not care for the strong flavors, a bit like gritty liver.  However, Mahi eggs are good, the heads and bones make excellent stock, and we all know the collars are excellent.

John
Hope springs eternal

steelfish

Quote from: Tightlines666 on July 09, 2018, 10:39:48 PM

The fillapinos love them fried.  I, myself did not care for the strong flavors, a bit like gritty liver.  However, Mahi eggs are good, the heads and bones make excellent stock, and we all know the collars are excellent.

John
[/quote]

you know what they say, in the kitchen mexicans are no much different than filipinos, japanese, chinese, etc we eat everything too LOL.
I love fish head soup (you might have seems some post already about it) and love to eat the fish eyes they taste just like cow eyes from a "cow head tacos" plate.
a lot of local guys love YT roe, corvina roe, sierra roe, well everyking of fish roe, but Im like you say, no much into strong flavors so, I dont eat it either.
I was asking cuz that tuna roe look big, so for someone that would eat it could mean a lot of dinners.

PS: when fileting a 15# fish or bigger I always look for the stomachs contents, you can learn a lot about what they are feeding during different seasons.

I really love this pic, a whole needle fish in the stomach of a 20# YT

The Baja Guy

Swami805

Maybe it's just me but it looks like the Ahi there grow longer sickle fins than the ones we get over here. I've caught 80-100lb yft here that  have way less length than those,not much bigger than a blue fin.
Nice trip,should cover expenses and then some. Nice to spend time on the water with your Pop's too
Do what you can with that you have where you are

Tiddlerbasher

Thanks for that ride John :)

Gobi King

Quote from: Tightlines666 on July 09, 2018, 08:27:07 PM
Quote from: Gobi King on July 09, 2018, 06:59:02 PM

Those are fully mature and ripe ovaries.  You can tell alot about what the YFT are up to bybexamining theit ovaries.  In particular you are looking for..

More then likely we are on the front end on the second series of YFT spawning events, so fishing should be improvong this week.

Always worth a look at the gonads, and stomach contents.

John
Ditto on the great lakes, but the salmon has lock-jaw around spawning time when they are staging at the river mouths.

I have a met bunch of Russian fishermen/women who come just for the eggs. It is strong but cooked right it is edible. I save mine for steelhead fishing or boil them for whitefish later in the season. Since the downturn in the salmon fishery, the fresh salmon eggs are like liquid gold in MI

Great info on YFT, I appreciate it.
Shibs - aka The Gobi King
Fichigan