greasing bearings

Started by Eddie Hernandez, May 09, 2018, 02:41:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eddie Hernandez

Hi All-worked on 2 shimano TR200-G reels and greased the bearings not sure if I should have or not? I have included some pics below. I have to say these reels are a joy to work on!!! Unlike the Abu-Garcia Kalex that gave me some resistance!!

handi2

You did good if you you greased the bearing on the drive shaft. They are cool little reels that last a long time.
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

alantani

send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Eddie Hernandez

Thanks for the feedback!!! these are the 1st reels(shimano TR100G/200G) I ever worked on that had open faced bearings....

Cor

I grease all "slow" turning bearings, like drive shaft & handles but those on the spool that affect the casting get thin oil.
Cornelis

Reel Beaker

Quote from: Cor on May 09, 2018, 04:18:13 PM
I grease all "slow" turning bearings, like drive shaft & handles but those on the spool that affect the casting get thin oil.

Would you grease shielded bearings? I was hesitating greasing shielded bearings as i wasnt sure if i would be able to remove dried up grease on them... So i mostly do a light oil, but was wondering if greasing the bearings would make the reel run smoother...

Reel Beaker

Quote from: Reel Beaker on June 14, 2018, 05:52:08 PM
Quote from: Cor on May 09, 2018, 04:18:13 PM

Would you grease shielded bearings? I was hesitating greasing shielded bearings as i wasnt sure if i would be able to remove dried up grease on them... So i mostly do a light oil, but was wondering if greasing the bearings would make the reel run smoother...

oc1

You can soak them in a solvent (acetone, naphtha, mineral spirits, etc.) to dissolve the grease, then spin the bearing to get most of the solvent out.  You may have to do it several times.  When the solvent stays clear you have probably removed the grease.

Put solvent in a jar, put the bearing on the end of a pencil or other mandrel, roll the bearing against the side of the jar. 
-steve

akfish

Those 200- reels are great -- but they **really** benefit from carbon fiber drag washers. Give Dawn a call at SmoothDrag and she'll set up.
Taku Reel Repair
Juneau, Alaska

Eddie Hernandez

Yes drag washers were replaced, I have been using Dawn for all my Drag Washer orders,Great Service!!!!.

These Reels are back in tip top shape.