Misc. pics from boat hangings-out last week

Started by thorhammer, June 12, 2018, 12:05:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

thorhammer

Fished offshore Carolina Beach last Wed.; tough due to very fracture sargassum weed killing our spread minutes after every deployed bait went in. Tried our bottom spot, but between a parking lot of boats at 50NM out and WAY too many dogfish for this time of year, that was tough also. I did manage a small blackfin tuna ten minutes in, and we nabbed a few BSB's and grunts in between sharks. Did find a $60 Calcutta 400 with rosewood power handle, a very nice US Jiggy on PC3811 Powerstick for $40, and a 114 for $20 that will clean up well. The 3811 is my preferred king mackerel / mahi stick for dragging pogies and cigar minnows; I grab them whenever they pop in decent shape as they have been out of production a decade. I pair with 555 and 545 GS's.

Raining last Sat, so I whipped up a new cutting table out of some scrap and found a pedestal i took off the boat grill a ways back. Boat grillin' is big livin', ya'll. Table works great and stores flat.

Headed back to cabin for the weekend, made some ceviche on the cutting table at my dock. You all know the tuna makes great ceviche, but don't toss back the grunts...outstanding. I'm telling you, if they were rebadged as orange-mouth reef snapper or something they'd be $30 a plate in NYC....

thorhammer

David Hall

Always best to make the ceviche before cutting bait too.

Shark Hunter

The snot grass will kill the fishing fo sho.
That is why I only hit the Gulf in May and September.
Sometimes it still gets me.
Nice looking Boat there John Boy.
Can't say I ever did any Boat Grillin'.
Guess I ain't livin' right.
Life is Good!

Vintage Offshore Tackle

That's quite an arsenal that you have there John!

Maxed Out

Shazaam !! That's the good life fur sure. 50 miles out and you found a crowd ?? Man, that's brutal

...and also drooling at the combos on your porch.

I clicked on your sideways pics and they self rotate for better viewing without kink in the neck.

Sweet job on the custom cutting station. Nobody round these parts makes a cutting board like that....if they did I'd buy one for my boat.
We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!

Marcq

ReelFishingProblems

You always find amazing deals.
I need to plan a vacation where I just follow you around on treasure hunts

Nick

Fishy247

QuoteAlways best to make the ceviche before cutting bait

But think of the added flavor!!