Levelwind worm gear does not revolve on free spool

Started by ijlal, July 31, 2011, 07:16:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ijlal

Hi,

I just got a couple of new/packed Shakespeare Agility low profile reels from Finland, coupled one with a Berkley Lightning Shock rod to test and was surprised to know the levelwind system does not work while casting. This makes the line come out of the reel at sharp angles, not only hampering the cast but also putting extra friction on the line.

I checked the other reel still in its plastic pack and the same problem; line guide only moves with crank of the handle; it does not move in free spool and it does not move when line is pulled out against drag!

Is this a manufacturing defect or the reels have been designed poorly? If it is a manufacturing defect I need to get the reels replaced against warranty. All the other levelwinds I have or sell, the likes of Penn, Abu-Garcia and Okuma, do not have this flaw. This, however, is my first experience with low-profile reels so cannot be sure.

Thanks! 
I live 'fishing'!

akfish

This is a feature that is supposed to increase casting distance by disconnecting the level wind when you cast. I don't like it because it means the line may not line up with the line guide when a fishing is pulling out line. It is a fairly common feature on small baitcasting reels.
Taku Reel Repair
Juneau, Alaska

ijlal

Quote from: akfish on July 31, 2011, 08:04:42 PM
This is a feature that is supposed to increase casting distance by disconnecting the level wind when you cast. I don't like it because it means the line may not line up with the line guide when a fishing is pulling out line. It is a fairly common feature on small baitcasting reels.

Thanks Akfish! You have removed a burden off my mind as these reels were ordered for my tackle shop and the one tested was actually sold.  :)

I wonder if this feature actually increases distance. My Ambassadeur 6600C4 casts a mile without ever disengaging the levelwind mechanism.
I live 'fishing'!

alantani

if the spool does not have the burden of rotating the levelwind assembly, the spool will spin further.  this works best on reels that have a narrow spool.  alan
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!