Penn International 20 Gen 1 Drag Advice

Started by Farmer Mike, July 04, 2018, 08:42:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Farmer Mike

I am working on a Gen 1 Penn International 20.  Bar and Rod Framing.  Looks to be basically unused. M920XXX ser#. 

I opened the drag housing and found no grease or corrosion the drag surfaces are shiny and almost new.  No drag dust now wear on the plates.  Lookslie it was spooled and never fished.

The drag is old fiber ring type. The drag goes from free spool to 100% with the drag lever very quickly.  The drag is not smooth and engages firmly at about 50% to Strike. Even if the adjusting screw is backed off to minimum. The pressure "washers" are assembled ()().

I have not lubed the drag disk and wanted to make sure this is the appropriate strategy.  Any other advice will be appreciated.  Other suggestions on the drag side of the system as well.

I have not fully disassembled this real in apprehension of running the almost perfect finish with a misplaced screwdriver tip.

Happy 4th

handi2

Mike there is a replacement Penn Dura Drag for that reel. I believe its part #117DN-70VS. It will replace the gold metal drive plate and the asbestos drag washer. With this it will be a completely different reel.

I did scratch mine a tiny bit at the reel seat. It doesn't take much at all. This is with a ground flat perfect fitting screwdriver. I was just going too fast.
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

Whit

Definitely replace the drag.  The old material contained asbestos and was inferior compared to the new stuff (HT-100).  You'll get a much better drag curve, smoother drag, and ability to fish heavier lines (like braids).  Greased is best.  And your lungs will thank you.....