20/0 KITS: Here they are!

Started by Vintage Offshore Tackle, June 22, 2018, 12:36:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mikeysm

Randy did you have to add shims to the spool?

Mike

Benni3

Now that looks mighty fine!!!!!! ;D

thorhammer

I vote that the first one lined and on a rod be next month's photo-of-month. But you have to hand-wind :)

Vintage Offshore Tackle

Quote from: mikeysm on June 22, 2018, 10:29:37 AM
Randy did you have to add shims to the spool?

Mike

Mike, my reel did not need any shims, and it's a good thing because when I opened the bag of 60 shims to pack them to ship three per kit, I discovered that the inside diameter of the hole in the shims that I received is too small to fit on the spool shaft. They must be for a smaller reel.

Just to make sure that the Tiburon shaft was not oversized, I tried them on the stock Penn spool that came out of the reel and the shim was too small for that one too.

I didn't not want to delay shipping the kits, so I am going to send them out without the shims.  If anyone needs shims, please let me know and I will have Mo mail them directly to you.  Hopefully everyone's installation will go as smoothly as mine did.

Thanks,

Randy

Vintage Offshore Tackle

Vintage Offshore Tackle

Quote from: thorhammer on June 22, 2018, 02:58:58 PM
I vote that the first one lined and on a rod be next month's photo-of-month. But you have to hand-wind :)

Thank you John!

Vintage Offshore Tackle

Quote from: Shark Hunter on June 22, 2018, 05:57:37 AM
No. 1 would be a stainless sleeve from Tom, but I think those are out of stock at the moment.
No. 2 is an insert Kit from Adam. Availability is always an issue on custom parts. I buy them when they are available.
No. 3 is a Stainless Handle Arm, also from Adam. His offset models are the best there is.
No. 4 is a 5/0 Grip.
With these four parts alone, it makes a much stronger reel and it makes it look so much better than stock.
Using the stock plates allows for ss double dogs. A Must with a reel like this.
Cutting plates for the dogs is not advisable if you aren't familiar. If you ruin it. Good luck finding a 16/0 side plate for less than you want to pay.
This is a long post, but all I did to this 16/0 was clean it up and put in a new 7 stack of Carbon Fiber.
Mike caught a 14' Tiger Shark on it. It made me feel good that my work made it Happen for him.
After his catch, I did replace the Brass sleeve with a stainless one. I think that is all you really need.
New Carbon Fiber stack and a Stainless sleeve,
http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=22384.0
This is the whole hog version, but like I said, most of these parts are unavailable now.
Stainless Main Gear, Sleeve, Dogs, Handle and all that was available at the time.
http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=15476.0

Thanks a million for the info Daron.  Just one stupid question:  Are Carbon Fiber and Carbontex and HT-100 all basically the same material?

Shark Hunter

I've always used laminated Carbon Fiber sheet or ordered from Mystic parts. I've never ordered carbontex, so I'm not able to answer that.
My opinion is you can't go wrong using any of these three methods. They are proven.
Life is Good!

thorhammer

HT-100 is a carbon fiber fabric that's laminated on fiberglass to provide stiffness in large sheets and then cut into strips. These strips are run through a stamping die to produce washers of various sizes to compliment Penn's original sizes of asbestos type washers as well as new designs. Since the introduction of HT-100, almost every other reel manufacturer is now using some form of carbon fiber drag washers. Penn's Dura-drag material is also another variation of the original material.

This is from Penn directly.

Vintage Offshore Tackle

Thank you Daron and John.  I bought some HT-100s for my 20/0 and I just wanted to make sure that they were the right kind.

Randy

The Great Maudu

Wow! I just saw this. They are beautiful Randy. Looking forward to getting mine. Thank you.

TheReelShop

We need side plates now. I got a friend who is currently fabricating his own CNC and maybe we can attempt at building the side plates. but I don't know if plates require a 5 axis CNC or Lathe. Maybe they can be made either way.

Benni3

Quote from: Shark Hunter on June 22, 2018, 04:10:39 AM
The spool arbor isn't as big as I thought it would be.
This thing is going to hold a ton of line!
They really turned out Nice Randy. ;)
smaller arbor + ton of line= ???,,,haha :D,,,,line capabilities got some math to it now ;D

Deepfins

I picked up my 20/0 spool/frame from Randy, yesterday, and just installed it without any issues.  Mine did not need shims, and everything fit absolutely perfect.  The 20/0 kit is truly a work of art!  Attached is my 20/0 next to an old school 14/0 vom Hofe.  Thanks to Randy for all the time he put into this project!!

Cheers,
John
"As for me, I am tormented with an everlasting itch for things remote. I love to sail forbidden seas, and land on barbarous coasts."

--Herman Melville, Moby-Dick

swill88

Some nice toys there John... thanks for sharing.
How old is the von Hofe?

Steve