Monterey lings

Started by Ray Ruiz, June 23, 2018, 06:15:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ray Ruiz

Went out of Monterey on the Checkmate.  My son gave me an early father's day/birthday present by paying for the trip. Best day ever. Jigged up live squid until the tanks were full,  then headed to the Big Sur area.

Shark Hunter

Life is Good!

Ron Jones

I'm coming over to YOUR house for dinner!
Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

swill88

Nice!  Thanks for the report.

How deep were the squid?

Steve

Gfish

Awesome!, and darn... Already scheduled to go outta Monterey Mon. AM, with some friends and my son. They set it up, so I'm not complainin, but I'm pretty sure it's not the Checkmate and there probably won't be any live squid, or Big Sur.
A day on the Pacific coast sea, the Kid's drivin, a trip to Monterey minus the weekend tourist thing, cool. All I gotta do till then is sit around and in-between havin married couple conversations: Her:"What are you thinking?" Me:"Uh, nothin.", and doin domestic assignments for her, is play with my tackle and eat home cooked meals from 3 diffrent ladies. I got it pretty good...
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

Swami805

Nice lings! That area is paradise and some great fishing. Must be tonnage of squid if you were getting them in daylight. Thanks for the report.
Do what you can with that you have where you are

alantani

yeah, but there is a story with these fish.  ray has to tell it.  it's great!!!!!!
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Ray Ruiz

Squid was at 30' and at 90'.  The story was that I hooked a smaller ling and as soon as I did I felt the pull of a hitch hiker. The deckhand came by and asked, " are you gaining line?" I replied yes so he waited with the gaff. When his eyes bugged out I knew it was a good size. Then the deckhand told me not to look and yelled for help from the captain.  Two 20+ pounders were playing tug of war with my initial ling,  one on the head and one on the tail!!!

Swami805

2 hitch hikers on the same fish,those were some hungry lings! Good job by the crew to get them both and to you for not looking. So that was your ling limit on one hook? That's crazy! Great trip!
Do what you can with that you have where you are

gstours

Thanks for the pictures,  makes me jealous,   good eats there.  and a great fish story too.    ;)

Gfish

Ok, completely wrong about our Monterey trip. We were scheduled and did go on the Checkmate! Surprise, surprise...Big Rockfish and nice Lings. Couldn't get any squid, but did catch some Sandabs for bait. A first for me, catching and using live bait for coastal bottom fishing. I strongly recommend this trip if you are tired of the red-hot salmon bite!?!? 20 -50lbs. of fish/ person. Our friend got the days biggest ~ 30lb Ling. Yeah, those of you familiar with this fishery can guess: he hooked a 5lber, which was promptly eaten by the big-un. Beautiful scenery and calm waters.
More with pics. latter.
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!