Gag grouper fishing from Clearwater, FL

Started by ReelFishingProblems, July 13, 2018, 10:59:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ReelFishingProblems

Hey all,

My wife surprised me with a private charter for my brother-in-law and me on the Gypsy II our of Clearwater, Florida on Wednesday. This was on top of freshwater fishing in the Ocala National Forest the previous two days (caught my first Chain Pickerel).

When we showed up on the dock it was just the Captain, as his deck hand no-showed due to some confusion. My brother-in-law is a boat captain in Hawaii, but his services weren't needed as Captain Mike was all over it! I told him I wanted to hunt for Gag Grouper and that's just what we did. Captain Mike took us to about 5 spots that all produced Gag and Red Groupers. I used the new hybrid spiral wrapped stand-up/kayak rod that John built me. It looked beautiful glistening in the sunlight. The more than twenty undersized grouper were just no match for it. Luckily for the cooler, my brother-in-law caught two keeper gags. We had a blast, and it was more like fishing with friends than fishing a charter. I would highly recommend Mike on the Gypsy II to anyone fishing Clearwater, FL.

thorhammer

Big Tasty. as they call them down there! Nice Work!

Rivverrat

I really like that 20t.
Acid rapped seem to be showing  showing.. Jeff more often than a few years ago... Jeff

steelfish

congrats for that great day on the water, Gag groupers look pretty similar to our gulf groupers and yep, one of the best tasty fish, as well as the leopard groupers (cabrillas).

I like the stance of that penn 20t, its a narrow 30t.
man now I regret have sold the penn 16s.

The Baja Guy

ReelFishingProblems

That 20T looks good because it's on a sweet rod!
Thanks John

cwillis85

I told you I would mate for you, looks like it was fun.
Chris

Alto Mare

Nice to get those kind of surprises, my wife did it to me while vacationing at Islamorada.
Good looking gear and fish, I'm glad you had a good day.

Did they blackened that grouper for you?

Best,

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.