Modify Shimano TR 100G into TLD Star 15/30

Started by BrianThomas, February 11, 2018, 09:17:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BrianThomas

I kayak fish and do not want to spend a lot on reels that get destroyed.  I am afraid of the level wind because i got my finger smashed in an Abu yrs ago.

I am interested in how to modify a TR 100 G reel into a star 15/30.   Specifically has anyone ever removed the level wind?  I know Alan has a metal frame to get this done but I am not sure I want to spring for that until I know i like the reel.

Can you remove the lever wind easily?

Also does anyone know what bearings I will need to change to make it like the 15/30

I am sure smooth drags has the drags. 

BrianThomas

I may have found the bearing sizes from a post I found?

Left side is 4x11x4

Right side 6x12x4

Spool bearings

Maybe these are correct? 

akfish

You can remove the level wind easy enough -- and if you plug the holes with silicon you won't let in excessive water. But making a TR100 into a TLD Star is going to be tough: The two reels have very different gears. Still, if you replace the drag washers in your TR100 with Carbontex from Smooth Drag, you'll improve the drag immensely and have a very fishable reel. I consider the TR100 to be best fished with perhaps 20# line. And the aluminum frame from Alan is for the Charter Special, not the TR series.
Taku Reel Repair
Juneau, Alaska

BrianThomas

ah ya! i didn't realize the gears are so much different - looks like the TR100 is 4.3:1  and the star is 5.3:1

Thanks

kmstorm64

I also kayak fish, and love my TR-100g with the new drags in it. I also got an arm and a 3/0 handle from Alan. I get funny looks as the arm/handle combo looks as big as the reel, but it makes an easier reel to work with.  Best of luck with your project.
Bad day of fishing still beats a good day at work!