TRQ25NLD2 freespool noise

Started by pitchinwedge, September 21, 2018, 05:57:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pitchinwedge

My reel seems to spin fine, but it noisy.  Not quite sure how to explain it.  Sounds like a motor running, or maybe all the bearings are letting me know they are spinning.  Maybe some other bits too. 

I'm pretty sure I put TSI321 everywhere a couple of months back.  Maybe this has something to do with it?  Any ideas?  My 40NLD2 is dead silent in comparison.

Tried to capture the sound in the video.

Penn

Any chance the line or tape is hitting the frame?  If not it just sounds like normal bearing noise honestly, maybe pull the spool bearings back out and a couple more drops of oil? 

tony

pitchinwedge

Yep, I made sure nothing was touching the frame during spool rotation.  Hence, the noise must be from the bearings, right?  If so, what would cause bearings to become noisy?  Lack of lube?  I hit em again with TSI, but no improvement.  

FWIW, I've not taken the shields off any of the bearings. I assumed a little extra light viscosity lube couldn't hurt so I simply put a drop or two of TSI321 around and over the entire bearing and where the bearings sit in the spool.  Could the TSI have gotten past the shields and broken down whatever lube was packed there? Maybe they need to be re-packed in grease?

Edit: Just timed freespool between 1min 14sec and 1min 32sec.  Spin with thumb until the spool stops completely.  This seems to be within normal range but it sounds like an Yamaha outboard.  ???

alantani

trying to isolate nosies can be hard.  start with the bare spool and bearings, then start adding parts and see where the noise starts.....   :-\
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

pitchinwedge

Thanks for the tip Alan, hope to have some time to take it apart again later in the week.  Will let you know how it goes!