Fathom 2 speed handle play ?

Started by Natarach, August 04, 2018, 04:31:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Natarach

Hello

As shown in the vdo  there's a little play (or free stroke)  which is not occur with FTH 1 speed. Lever drag

Just wanna know is this normal for 2 speed reels?

Ps. I pressed the spool with my finger in the vdo

SoCalAngler

Is your Fathom single speed a star drag reel?

Natarach

Quote from: SoCalAngler on August 04, 2018, 06:07:41 PM
Is your Fathom single speed a star drag reel?

I have both star drag and lever drag 1speed. The one I mentioned 's lever drag. 

Since 25NLd2 is my first 2 speed reel  is it possible that the free stroke that I feel caused by mechanism of two speed gear such as clearance between gear stud *part  134* and shift key *part 128* or something related.  ( just guess)

for25NLD2  the anti reverse is fine. The free stroke is occur at the start of cranking before spool turn as in the vdo

Thank you
Natarach

SoCalAngler

The reason I asked if your single speed was a star drag is because the star drag Fathom's use a anti reverse bearing backed by a dog or two depending on reel size, which offers instant anti reverse.

Most all LD reels use only the dogs, not just Penn reels, and this amount of back play is pretty normal for the dogs to engage the ratchet/anti reverse.

Natarach

Quote from: SoCalAngler on August 04, 2018, 06:44:32 PM
The reason I asked if your single speed was a star drag is because the star drag Fathom's use a anti reverse bearing backed by a dog or two depending on reel size, which offers instant anti reverse.

Most all LD reels use only the dogs, not just Penn reels, and this amount of back play is pretty normal for the dogs to engage the ratchet/anti reverse.

Thank you SoCalAngler

But  this case I think it is not related to the anti reverse mechanism.  The free stroke happen at the beginning of the cranking foward. It seems like main gear turns a bit after the gear stud.