Howdy from MitchelGarcia in CA

Started by MitchelGarcia, August 15, 2018, 02:08:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MitchelGarcia

Been going through the fishing gear collection lately; fixing stuff, laughing, repairing/re-repairing.
Started fishing the usual way for a kid in the 60s, following my dad around with my funky Zebco bait casting rig.
All can remember about it is that it was all black and white and didn't cast very far.
It didn't take long for me to notice dads casts went much further and he was catching more fish.
So I commandeered my mom's pole and reel (identical to dad's but she barely ever used it).
Oh, yeah... much better... a Mitchell Garcia 300 on a 6' matching rod.
Been in love with those old 300s ever since, truly cable of a handling a huge range of fishing needs.
Oh yes, "needs" is what I said, and I'll stand by that through whatever you throw at me.
Creek trout, fat large mouth bass, nasty catfish, pan fish, trolling, bait fishing, lure tossing, salmon in Alaska...
Those old reels and I have been hauling in fish all over the continent. 
Of course, my repertoire has expanded, you'll find Diawas, Penns, DAM Quicks, ABUs, even Zebcos sharing space in my fishing stash room.

foakes

Welcome aboard, Arturo!

Lots of Mitchell lovers on here (whether they admit it or not).

I have worked on thousands of them over the years, and still have 400-500 to get rid of, plus a decent stock of NOS parts, if ever needed.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

alantani

send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Midway Tommy

Welcome! Nice to see another open face spinning reel guy added to the group!  ;D
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

MitchelGarcia

Thanks y'all.
Yep, love the open face spinners.
Learning to use level winds for more than dumping line over rail, it's tricky but so old school cool.
Finished fixing up a little Garcia 408 last night.
Basically a yard sale find with no bail spring, added a spring, cleaned and lubed.
Presto! Another cool reel back into the action.

Shark Hunter

Life is Good!