Headed out of SD on the Tomahawk Sept 2-4th

Started by pjstevko, August 31, 2018, 07:31:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pjstevko

I'm getting excited to head out on my first CA offshore sport boat fishing adventure.I scored one of the last spots on the 1.5 day trip on the Tomahawk targeting tuna (bft,yft and skipjack).I'm not sure if the yellowtail are still around but I'd be more than stoked to land a couple of those as well. I've got a couple new rods and reels that need to get broken in so hopefully the fish cooperate. I can't wait to watch fish blow up on my poppers!!!!!

If anyone has any advice, tips, tricks or personal knowledge they'd like to pass on I'd appreciate it....

PJ

Swami805

Have fun. Maybe an elusive yellowtail off a paddy
Do what you can with that you have where you are

Fishy247

Number 1 bit of advice I can give you is to listen to the crew. They are out there doing it every day and know what's working and what isn't. Don't be afraid to ask questions as well! These guys WANT you to catch fish and have a fun time doing it. Getting everyone on the same page as early as possible makes for a much more pleasant and productive day on the water. Remember that this type of fishing is a TEAM sport. When everyone is working together, it truly is a thing of beauty, I gotta tell ya....

Have fun and I hope ya get em good PJ! I'll be about a week behind ya.

Oh yeah, call the landing before you head down and check what tackle they recommend. If you need anything else, it's much cheaper to buy it on your way down before you get to SD. Oh, and don't forget a big gun in case the big boys make a showing for ya!

Mike

pjstevko

Heres a 1.5 day report from the Tomahawk that just returned.....

https://www.bdoutdoors.com/forums/threads/1-5-day-wrap-up-report-killed-em.698337/#post-4673869

Looks like I'm gonna have a good chance at bft and yellowtail!!!!

(Hope its ok I posted a link to a different forum)

pjstevko

I needed to get a few things so I stopped by the world famous Bob Sands fishing tackle on my way to San Diego... Here's hoping I waste another $100 on jigs!

MarkT

Good luck! I really like those JRI jigs they carry.
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

Benni3

Vintage Offshore Tackle

PJ, here's my two cents on what I believe to be one of the keys to success for this type of fishing.  In a wide open bite, you can get away with anything, but if the fish are picky, bait selection is 90% of the battle. Take your time at the tank and pick a winner.

In the event that the bait that you have lovingly selected does not take off like a scalded ape within ten seconds of hitting the water, change it and keep changing it until you find one that does.

pjstevko

It's a busy night here at Seaforth Sportfishing... There are 4 boats leaving here within hours of each other..... We were supposed to be under way by now but that's ok.....it's a beautiful night

rogan

Awesome dude, wish I was there with you.  Catch some great fish!!!!

pjstevko

Here's my catch report.... I caught one really expensive boat ride/nap........

Woke up at 4:30 to fish the early morning bird and found out the port motor was dead and we turned around..... Full refund......

Swami805

Oh Man! What a bummer!!  Any chance you can catch one of the 3/4 day boats tomorrow? There's a couple nice ones that go to the Coronado Islands and there's been decent yellowtial fishing. Worth a shot, check fisherman's landing I think there's a few from there.
Do what you can with that you have where you are

Jim Fujitani

pjstevko

Quote from: Swami805 on September 03, 2018, 03:46:41 PM
Oh Man! What a bummer!!  Any chance you can catch one of the 3/4 day boats tomorrow? There's a couple nice ones that go to the Coronado Islands and there's been decent yellowtial fishing. Worth a shot, check fisherman's landing I think there's a few from there.

I thought about that but with all the $$$ I already spent plus a night in a hotel next to the water on a holiday weekend (if I could find one with an empty room) I would have been tapped.... Plus I'll just put the $$ towards a longer trip in a month or two

Big Tim

Quote from: pjstevko on September 03, 2018, 02:36:47 PM
Here's my catch report.... I caught one really expensive boat ride/nap........

Woke up at 4:30 to fish the early morning bird and found out the port motor was dead and we turned around..... Full refund......

WOW! I should had you come up to Oxnard and stay for free. Maybe even catch a boat. Sorry I missed this before I could offer PJ.

My trip was real slow early then we went off with quality rockfish and up to 10# Ocean Whitefish, with limits to all. See ya soon.

Tim