Getting customers

Started by RamseyReelRepair, August 20, 2018, 12:48:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ez2cdave

Quote from: RamseyReelRepair on September 01, 2018, 10:53:50 PM
I agree that if I sponsor freshwater I'll start getting freshwater and when I do I'll start posting those pics but in the gallery is where I post reels we have worked on which have just been saltwater reels basically. www.ramseyreelrepair.com/gallery

West
West,

Maybe some pics of reels being worked on and the shop's "bench", itself, might be helpful . . .

Possibly, some "Before" and "After" photos, too.

Tight Lines !

kmstorm64

You may wish to reach out to some of the local tournaments and offer up a free reel service as a prize, this gets word of mouth out.
Bad day of fishing still beats a good day at work!

RamseyReelRepair

Thanks I'm actually working on that now. Should it just be a cleaning and lubrication or should it be a repair if needed? Maybe up to a certain amount? Thoughts?

West
Check out the website and gallery!
😎http://www.ramseyreelrepair.com😎

foakes

I keep a couple of complicated reels in coffee cans — completely disassembled, parts cleaned.

When doing Saturday morning, or weekday evening reel clinics for servicing reels at shops, stores, clubs, or shows — I just dump and spread out the parts on a plastic tray —

As I am talking to folks and doing basic routine service on other reels...

There is no intention of ever reassembling these reels — it just lets folks think that I know what I am doing (whether or not I do!) — lets them see a complicated reel completely disassembled, all the tiny parts, etc..

Most folks at that point would rather pay you to do their reels — then get involved in that mess of parts!

At the end of the clinic, I just scrape the parts back into their coffee can, snap on the lid — and go home until next time.

The reels I have like this are a Penn 209 LW, a Mitchell 300, a Shimano Spyrex, and a couple of baitcasters.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

xjchad

Quote from: foakes on September 07, 2018, 04:42:20 PM
I keep a couple of complicated reels in coffee cans — completely disassembled, parts cleaned.

When doing Saturday morning, or weekday evening reel clinics for servicing reels at shops, stores, clubs, or shows — I just dump and spread out the parts on a plastic tray —

There is no intention of ever reassembling these reels — it just lets folks think that I know what I am doing (whether or not I do!) — lets them see a complicated reel completely disassembled, all the tiny parts, etc..

Most folks at that point would rather pay you to do their reels — then get involved in that mess of parts!

At the end of the clinic, I just scrape the parts back into their coffee can, snap on the lid — and go home until next time.

The reels I have like this are a Penn 209 LW, a Mitchell 300, a Shimano Spyrex, and a couple of baitcasters.

Best,

Fred

Great idea Fred!

Although we all know you could put those back together with your eyes closed...  ;)
Husband, Father, Fisherman

RamseyReelRepair

kmstorm64

Quote from: RamseyReelRepair on September 07, 2018, 04:25:26 PM
Thanks I'm actually working on that now. Should it just be a cleaning and lubrication or should it be a repair if needed? Maybe up to a certain amount? Thoughts?

West

I would keep it to a basic service, depending on the reel (old Jigmaster versus some guys $2000 dollar high end top shelf ShimanoDiawaFinNor mega fish zapper 5000) it could get pricey for you, where as a basic service you can knock in a short amount time, possibly while they wait.
Bad day of fishing still beats a good day at work!

RamseyReelRepair

ez2cdave

Quote from: foakes on September 07, 2018, 04:42:20 PM

Best,

Fred

Fred,

So, what is the most "complicated" and difficult to work on reel ?

Tight Lines !

foakes

Like most of us on here, Dave —

It is not so much the complicated part — experience over the years makes that part easier for all of us.

It is the difficulty of wanting to do a good and complete job on a reel that is graphite or plastic, many graphite and plastic components, painted on or adhesive logos, tricky and mostly unnecessary features and weird components, lots of bling.

It takes mostly careful hand cleaning with chemicals that won't harm or discolor the plastic graphite materials, lots of cleaners, toothbrushes, multiple steps over and over to get it right, maybe 10-12 bearings because that is what is needed to overcome a weaker frame, and sand-lubed by the owner.

I guess the types that come to mind, are Asian Spinners with rear drag assemblies, and bait feeder mechanisms.

Others have no issues working on these, like Philaroman — but if I accept these jobs (which I need to do for good, repeat clients) there is a higher service charge — and that still doesn't cover the job. 

If they are not too bad, I will just try to get by with a basic service of the bearings, cleaning, lubing, rotor, bail, A/R, and drag stack.  But at least for me, that still generally means going 100% into the reel...since there is always...a little more to make it right so I would fish it myself.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Reel 224

Dave: I want to add something to Fred's post. It's very tempting to say at times when you are frustrated with a complicated service or repair, to say aw that's good enough. When you get that feeling, walk away and come back and do better then just good enough.

Joe 
"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."

Christopher M Songer

Sounds like great advice here. I am in the same position although retired but find reel maintenance and repair fascinating. It is a fun hobby at the moment.
Always go forward, never go straight

Reel 224

Quote from: GetReel on September 09, 2018, 01:27:41 PM
Sounds like great advice here. I am in the same position although retired but find reel maintenance and repair fascinating. It is a fun hobby at the moment.

Unless you can snag a job working for a tackle shop who needs a repair person, It is going to be just a hobby. Your not going to make a substantial living of just repair. That is not to say or discourage you from pursuing that endeavor. By all means join the group and contribute to the profession.

Joe   
"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."

ez2cdave

Quote from: foakes on September 08, 2018, 02:07:01 PMI guess the types that come to mind, are Asian Spinners with rear drag assemblies, and bait feeder mechanisms.

Fred

My choice would have to be the Shimano Baitrunner spinning reels.

Tight Lines !