Recent Alaska trip...

Started by Steve-O, June 23, 2011, 07:29:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Steve-O

Just got back in from a self-guided 5 day trip in the Icy Straits area. The weather and the fish cooperated nicely. Pacific Halibut was the targeted species and I was not disappointed. Here's a few.

Steve-O

A small keeper chicken.

A 60 #.

A 150#.

Reinaard van der Vossen

WOW!

Nice fish!

How did the gear perform with the larger fish. Did you catch them with the rod that you mention in another post (travelrod?) How long did it take you to get them on board?

Bryan Young

Very nice Steve-O.  Man that 60# looks like it would not fit in the boat...can't imagine the 150#.  Great going.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

alantani

very nice, steve !!!!!!!!!!!!
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

ReelSpeed

Oh man!  If some of that doesn't fit in your freezer, there is a reel repair shop that would gladly take some.  ;D ;D ;D
Reelspeed Reel Service & Repair
Santa Fe Springs, CA 90670
(562) 261-5190

Alto Mare

Very nice Steve, give us some details on the gear that was used. Thanks! Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Dominick

Steve:  I'm jealous.  I want to make a trip like that.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Steve-O

Thanks, guys!
Been crazy busy catching up with work and the honeydo list since I got back.

Sal, I'll do a breakdown post of the rods (5) reels (4) and terminal tackle that I took and used. The lodge offered everything but I wanted to bring my own stuff, especially the two piece rods or the ones I cut down and the Omoto reels (Avet clones) for trial and error testing. Probably posted under fishing rods section this week.

The lodge uses shimano star drag reels and shimano taallus (sp?) rods. My fav turned out to be the cut down Baby Blue eglass blank, spiral wrapped with either the single or two speed lever drag and 80 # dyneema braid and home built 400# mono spreader rigs and a 6 foot 400 # mono leader. Like a champ. No failures.

Just had a family reunion dinner with grilled teriyaki salmon and brown sugar pineapple ginger halibut. Yuuuuuummmmmyyy!
Steve-O

seaeagle2

brown sugar pineapple ginger halibut. Yuuuuuummmmmyyy!,  How about sharing the recipe for this. 
"One life, don't blow it" Kona Brewing
\"If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there\'d be a shortage of fishing poles\" Doug Larson

Steve-O

We mostly marinade our fish in Yoshidas teriyaki and straight to the grill. This time for the halibut I wanted to mix things up a little more.

so some went in the teriyaki marinade, some got  key lime juice and lemon slices on top, and some were first rubbed with brown sugar - about 5 tablespoons for each chunk, like spread sand on bare handed, then crushed pineapple and a little juice spooned over that and sprinkled with ground ginger powder. I put way tooo little so the ginger 'bite' was missing and we only got a hint of ginger flavor. So next time more than two pinches sprinkled on. Or I'll put the ginger on first under the brown sugar and pineapple.

Right on to the grill with the grill basted first with olive oil to prevent sticking. Close the lid and check for juices flowing from the top and white flaky firmness....get it off just barely before done so it doesn't dry out.

Next recipe will be including  sauteed/browned coconut flakes and coconut creme.....yum!

Steve-O

Alto Mare

Yummy! You're making me hungry!
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.