matt bingham's long range report

Started by alantani, August 26, 2011, 05:50:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

alantani

i loaned a pair of makaira 8's, a pair of makaira 10's and a set of six phenix rods to matt to demo on his trip 2 weeks ago,  here is his report. 

Makaira Reels and Phenix Rod ReCap – Royal Polaris 7-Day (Blackwater Charter)

Alan, while I was able to use the Mak's and Phenix rod's on my trip, we were at Alijos Rocks for a majority of our time on the fishing grounds, and therefore limited to fishing live bait for yellowfin tuna.  I primarily used the Mak 10 again this year, and have nothing but very positive feedback on this reel.  The reel is just a fish killer.  I landed a 95.5# (weight at the dock) and an 87# this year that were my two largest bait fish with the Mak 10.  One other larger model was landed, but it was a kite fish and not what we are here to talk about!
I did end up in a rather precarious situation with the Mak 8 on one of the Phenix hybrids.  It was day two at the rocks and we were in a serious lull.  (Now back up two days, and on our way out there, Frank made a comment that I never expected to hear from him.  "Guys, some days its been tough out here, and finesse  fishing has been getting hookups". Well, I knew what he meant, and I tied up a few 30# leaders, just in case. ) During this lull I decided to go to the finesse rig, and sure enough, I got picked up about  1.5 seconds after I casted my sardine out off the transom of the RP.  I knew I was in trouble too, as the fish actually breezed out of the water when it inhaled my bait and I could tell this was a good fish.  Now I am not bragging, but generally speaking I can get a 100# fish on 40# line to the boat in under 10  minutes.......but this wasn't going to be the case with this hookup.  After 4 trips around the boat and 45 minutes of finesse fishing, I had the tuna to color and it was obvious that I had a large model yellowfin hooked up.  There was no way I was going to lose this fish to a drag that was set too tight, but I had to use my thumb a bit just to lift the fish and gain line while it was below us doing its circles.  The Phenix rod was up to the fight, but I just couldn't lift with it as fast as I wanted/needed to.  And right about this time, Big D (worlds greatest deckhand) leans over to me and says, you got a huge mako coming in for a peek.  It didn't take more than 5 more seconds, and suddenly I was able to reel my fish right to the boat.  The only problem was that I only got its head!  My first time being "sharked", and it was a heartbreaker.  I pouted for a few minutes, like any serious angler would!!!  Big D took a picture of the Mak 8 when the fish completed its first initial run.  I had approx 25 yards of line left, and it didn't look good for me trying to stop the freight training fish.......But, as we know, get your rod up vertical and use the fullest amount of the "bend" and you can stop any fish.  The Phenix rod was loaded up to the max! The Mak 8 could have had provided me with much more drag than I was using, but since I had 30# on, it limited how much pressure I could apply.  In hindsight, I should have been using the next line level higher on the Phenix rod that I put the Mak 8 on.  The 15-40# rig was probably just a little too lean in the butt section to really get the lifting power I would have preferred.

I also used the Mak 8 for some Yellowtail fishing, and it really wasn't a fare fight for the fish.......I felt like I was cheating having a low gear, but it certainly aided in cranking them in when we had a bunch of fish going and me not wanting to be tangled.  Casting them with a sardine is just pure butter and effortless.  I will need to add a Mak 8 to my quiver, but also plan on acquiring another 10 as well.  I am convinced that they are the best two speed reels on the market right now.  I have reels from all of the other top shelf manufacturers (I like to try everything) but right now the only ones I am purchasing are from Okuma!  Thanks again Alan for showing them to me last year and letting me test drive yours....I am sold on them for sure.

send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Alto Mare

Good job Matt, thanks for the report. I'm a Penn guy and after Alan's previous report on the Makaira and phenix rod and now yours, I've been taking a closer look. I had a few Okuma reels in the past and wasn't crazy about them, but these appear to be IT, I'm definitely interested in them, thanks again, Sal

Alan, I've noticed that most of the trips that you guys take are at the rocks. Is that the "hot spot" or you guys are not comfortable being surrounded by blue ( sky and ocean) like we do here in the NE ;D.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Norcal Pescador

Sal -
The (Alijos) Rocks are one of the best fishing grounds around! It's a big fish magnet. It's on my bucket list.

And yes, Matt. Thanks for the great report.
Rob
Rob

Measure once, cut twice. Or is it the other way around? ::)

"A good man knows his limits." - Inspector Harry Callahan, SFPD

Steve-O

Great reviews and fishing report!

Steve-O

Alto Mare

Quote from: norcal pescador on August 26, 2011, 04:12:24 PM
Sal -
The (Alijos) Rocks are one of the best fishing grounds around! It's a big fish magnet. It's on my bucket list.

I can see why Rob, That's some gorgeous fish.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

redsetta

Great report Matt.
I haven't seen any 8s in NZ yet, but there are a few 10s around.
I saw a 10 the other day mounted on a Shimano XR for about NZ$700 (US$584) all up, which seemed good value for such a capable set up.
I'm putting an 8 on my wish list...
Cheers, Justin
Fortitudine vincimus - By endurance we conquer