Conventional reels for surface irons

Started by Corroded, August 19, 2018, 09:02:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Swami805

I caught a few cow yellowfin at hurricane bank with them at night. They're 10-12 years old so I'm pretty sure they're brass.  I'd swap you for a couple surface irons. Pm me if you're interested.
Do what you can with that you have where you are

SoCalAngler

MarkT

I checked my stash of blue/chrome tuna jigs... My 4/0 doesn't have glow on the back. I have several A2, an A1, multiple 9's (a great lure!), multiple Y2's, multiple TLC's and a UFO 3 and UFO 2.

None are surface iron like the Tady 45, Salas 7x, 7xJr, JRI 7, 4, Caivo's or Kicker 25's that I have lots of... never leave home without them! If the fish are up these will get them.

I have lots of Salas 6xJr, 6x, Tady 4/0, JRI 6 and 66, UFO/Ironman/Fire 3's and 5's but they're all yoyo irons. If they're down deep these will get them.

Flat falls and other slow pitch jigs can be yoyo'd too and work great in that role as well as the bottom grabbers they were designed for. They have become the hot lure for big BFT!

Megabaits and their myriad clones all work well in the same rolls you'd use a FF or "universal" iron... cast and retrieve or yoyo.

Lots of good options out there!
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

SoCalAngler

P.S. Swami,

If you can try to weigh the jigs. The ones I'm looking for are about 7 oz.

SoCalAngler

Quote from: MarkT on August 25, 2018, 04:07:40 AM
I checked my stash of blue/chrome tuna jigs... My 4/0 doesn't have glow on the back. I have several A2, an A1, multiple 9's (a great lure!), multiple Y2's, multiple TLC's and a UFO 3 and UFO 2.

None are surface iron like the Tady 45, Salas 7x, 7xJr, JRI 7, 4, Caivo's or Kicker 25's that I have lots of... never leave home without them! If the fish are up these will get them.

I have lots of Salas 6xJr, 6x, Tady 4/0, JRI 6 and 66, UFO/Ironman/Fire 3's and 5's but they're all yoyo irons. If they're down deep these will get them.

Flat falls and other slow pitch jigs can be yoyo'd too and work great in that role as well as the bottom grabbers they were designed for. They have become the hot lure for big BFT!

Megabaits and their myriad clones all work well in the same rolls you'd use a FF or "universal" iron... cast and retrieve or yoyo.

Lots of good options out there!

Here is the thing Mark, where is UFO, Fire, Kicker, Ironman, I will not go after the after market clones and alike?

All good jigs? You bet but Tady carried most of the load after Salas left the market. I'm so glad the son deiced to make jigs again after pops stopped, or could not anymore

MarkT

I like brass! Brass jigs weigh more than the equivalent zinc? lures. A brass JRI 6 is sized like a 6xJr but weighs like a 6x and the brass JRI 66 is heavier than the similarity sized 6x.

I don't think Ironman/UFO/Fire and Kicker are around anymore. They were equivalent to some of the Salas and Tady's but weren't clones.  Ironman/UFO/Fire looked identical to each other so may have been made with the same molds as the companies took over from each other.

SoCalAngler

Quote from: MarkT on August 25, 2018, 04:44:46 AM
I like brass! Brass jigs weigh more than the equivalent zinc? lures. A brass JRI 6 is sized like a 6xJr but weighs like a 6x and the brass JRI 66 is heavier than the similarity sized 6x.

I don't think Ironman/UFO/Fire and Kicker are around anymore. They were equivalent to some of the Salas and Tady's but weren't clones.  Ironman/UFO/Fire looked identical to each other so may have been made with the same molds as the companies took over from each other.

Yes your 100% right and that was kind of my point. The cream rises to the top so to speak. That's why I feel Tady and Salas are still in the market place. Others have come and gone and that will continue but if a jig still catches fish should I change? Nope, not me I will fish jigs that have caught fish on and still will even if the design is almost as old as I am.

MarkT

There are/were lots of good jigs other than the Tady C, 45 for surface iron and 9 and 4/0 for yoyo and Salas 6xJr and 6x for yoyo and 7x for surface. Tady has brought back the Starman 112 and I think most of the JRI's are old jigs that they've acquired the molds and updated the materials, finish and hardware. Pep jigs are back too. What is old can be new again!

Did the OP ever pick a reel to these gems with?

Swami805

If any of you have any 2 sharps laying around I'd be interested, down to my last one!
Do what you can with that you have where you are