Jigmaster 500/501 to 505/506 comparison

Started by Gfish, August 20, 2018, 01:50:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MACflyer and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

MarkT

Quote from: Maxed Out on April 29, 2021, 03:15:59 AM
Quote from: MarkT on April 29, 2021, 12:05:35 AM
The PG 545 has a bigger capacity than a 501 due to the deeper/taller spool.  It's more like the capacity of a 545 GS or Penn 99 Silver Beach/Jigmaster conversion.

You must be thinking of a different reel Mark. I can use jigmaster accurate magnum sideplates and a PG545 spool to make a 501 magnum. The 501 & 545 spools are identical except for the spool shaft
PG 545 spool is 1 3/4", I think the Penn 501/Newell 322 is 1 5/8".
99 Jigmaster/Newell 332 is 2 1/8"
Jigmaster 500/Newell 338 is 2 7/16"
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

otghoyt

I like the sound of the DD bridge for drop in.  I'll do some homework on the spool.  Kinda confusing right now.  Lotta info in there.  Thanks for the direction.  Appreciate it much

Maxed Out

Check out the pro gear section thread now being discussed about increasing drag on a 505&506 and spool shaft flex when Bryan installed a 5 stack. Start by reading page 1.

The spool shaft flex is likely due to the extra long shaft on the 505&506. Bryan says the spool started rubbing at 15#
We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!

Donnyboat

Greg thanks, this is a good post with lots of info, contributed by many of you.
     I just brought a Jigmaster 500, although it looks rough, it works great, just the reel for using on the boat, keep the flasher looking reels for the shelf.
     I actually run out of braid for it, managed to get 330M or new 8 strand multi colour braid on it, 60 Lbs, so I still have room for a mono top shot.
     thanks to everyone, cheers Don.
Don, or donnyboat

Rancanfish

My first ever conventionals were a Jigmaster 500, then a 320gti, then a squidder 140 I got in trade for the 320.  I still have them in perfect condition. (One of the benefits of knowing a guy named Tani all those years ago).  I have two like new 506's that I got and never used.  I have a like new 209 I bought for my son when he was little, fishing in the bay with me.

I still have a 146 NIB.  I still love holding them to admire the solid feel Penn built in to all that era reels
I woke today and suddenly nothing happened.

otghoyt

Ok fish man.  I know you troll your own threads.  So here's one for you.  Will the NEWELL REEL P-440 F cross bars fit the 500/6 series reels?

Gfish

I don't know, I've been tempted to delve into Newells based on what I've read here about 'em, but haven't pulled the trigger yet. Progear's too.
 Yup, I reread my stuff and then always end-up editing my hurried, stupid sounding writing, or adding things I've learned since I first posted. Kinda like my reels, I'm never satisfied with what I originally did.
Woody Allen says he never watches his own movies because if he did, he would wanna change everything he did. Guy's a genius IMO, and I'm so far from that, so it sounds like good advice for me...
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

Rancanfish

Do eet!  Get a Newell 220.  It will blow your mind how light and powerful it is.
I woke today and suddenly nothing happened.

thorhammer

Quote from: Rancanfish on April 18, 2022, 07:53:22 PMDo eet!  Get a Newell 220.  It will blow your mind how light and powerful it is.

agree. awesome little reel- and P229 also.