Hello! I'd like to fish with you. ;)

Started by JoseCuervo, August 25, 2018, 03:55:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JoseCuervo

Hello all-

I have been reading the threads here for a few years, but more so in the last few months so I decided to join and learn more about reel maintenance, fishing, and boating.

I got skunked on an ocean salmon party boat trip a few weeks ago from HMB (big fish was one of three for 26 anglers, at 6 pounds), the week before there were limits. It seems it is always that way for me. I think I just need to go fishing more often. I hadn't been out in a couple of years, my fishing buddy died (thanks Ron for getting me started salmon fishing! I caught my avatar pic fish with him the first trip).

I have found the site to be very informative and Alan's and others' tutorials are great and I can't think of how many hundreds of threads I must have read. The users are friendly, helpful, and more resourceful and generous than I have seen on any other message board.

I have always only bought Penn reels, it is definitely the Jaws thing with me. I have a few 155's, a couple Jigmasters, some Special Senators, and a few others mostly modern, the biggest is an older 9/0. I do also fish freshwater occasionally so like most I have a lot of rods. And reels. And tackle boxes..

The other night, I decided to open an older 155 that a hack had before. My first time inside a reel... I found a lot of mismatched screws and solder on the handle and knob shaft I couldn't see in the ad. I'll post some pics below, if I can. While I wait for screws and drag washers I popped open a couple of dry as a bone Jigmasters I have had.

A quick question if I may, I have a self imposed one new user thread per day limit: One of my Jigmasters has a date code I believe molded inside the tail plate, when did Penn start that? I have not seen that before anywhere, but haven't been inside a lot of reels, and hadn't seen that in any online pictures but those are usually older reels.. I think it says July 1997. Now that I think about it, it was in a blister package I bought at Walmart.

That trip in October out of SD sure looks like fun! The longest ocean trip I've been on was a 1.5 day out of Loma, but I did win the pot for live bait with a nice 50 pound albacore I flew home in my checked luggage.

Oh yeah, may a plague fall upon Photobucket, they effectively killed half of the pictorial knowledge of the entire internet just like that.

Thanks in advance for allowing me aboard.

Rob

Gfish

That top most picture, the stand doesn't look like that of a jigmaster. The stand ona Jiggy should be #30 - 200 for a 500 or 30 - 49 fora 501 size.
Could be the plate dating is a Chinese reel thing, but I've never owned that version. The ones I've seen in Wallyworld always come in a box, though.
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

JoseCuervo

Sorry if I misspoke, that top one is the 155 with the soldered handle. I bought it for the butterscotch handle and the stipled plates.

;D

Shark Hunter

Welcome Rob!
The Beachmaster is one of my favorites.
I'm guessing that dating aspect started in the 70's. Just a guess.
Life is Good!

Gfish

Quote from: JoseCuervo on August 25, 2018, 04:25:47 AM
Sorry if I misspoke, that top one is the 155 with the soldered handle. I bought it for the butterscotch handle and the stipled plates.

;D

Nah, I just mis-read your post.
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

JoseCuervo

Thanks for the welcome Shark Hunter. I think I might have read all of your posts on the board. I haven't come across the one with your bait rig for fat sharks, but I am sure I will if it exists :)

I recall using the Beachmasters on party boats out of Dana Point when I was a kid, 30+ odd years ago now so I have always had a thing for them too.

Once I get the first one back together I am going to work on these. I needed to open my supply chain with Mystic and get a feeling on what reels are worth versus costs for parts and shipping. I have a couple with aluminum spools I currently use as well.

foakes

The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Alto Mare

Welcome Rob, you've joined the right place.

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

swill88

Welcome Rob...
Here's a trip in December out of HMB. 
http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=26270.0
Hope you can make it.
Steve

Benni3

David Hall

Crow

There's nothing wrong with a few "F's" on your record....Food, Fun, Flowers, Fishing, Friends, and Fun....to name just a few !

alantani

welcome!   yeah, keep an eye on the "bay area" fishing board for trips coming up.  there are several.  i'm mostly on party boats when they do rockfish/crab combos.  you have to do them before the commercial crab season starts! 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Dominick

Rob, if you use google chrome they have a work around.  google "photobucket embed fix" and download the app.  Then you can see all the blanked out photos.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.