Penn Fathom

Started by reel man, November 10, 2016, 10:45:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

reel man

I think Penn has finally produced a series of reels that equal or better their competition in the Fathom lineup.  Used the 30, 2 spd, and 40, 2 spd on a 9 day trip for wahoo, and couldn't be more pleased with the feel of these reels, and performance.  They are so much lighter that other reels, and their gear ratio is just about spot on.  Got home and ordered a 25, also a 15 for other applications.  They do offer star drag reels in the Fathom line up for those who prefer adjusting the drag on the fly, but both reels spin very nicely.  They offer a 60 model, but I don't have an application to need that big reel.

alantani

i have the torques.  they are all very nice!
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

handi2

All of them are great. I sold my heavy International Torque 300's for the newer lighter Torque reels. The Fathoms are just as good.
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

FatTuna

I love my fathom but I wish I had bought the non-levelwind version. Mine is star drag with a 4.3:1. My favorite is the Fathom 25N star drag with a 6:1.

steelfish

another fan of the fathom series.

I have the 40LD2 and totally felt in love, saving to get the 25ld2 soon

The Baja Guy

akfish

The Fathoms are great reels. However, you need to be careful when tightening the side plate screws. The frame is thin and the screws are very short. It is easy to strip the threads in the cast aluminum frame and, I suspect, some come from the factory already stripped.
Taku Reel Repair
Juneau, Alaska

reel man

Thanks for the headsup.  Guess I won't be using my half inch socket set.  ;)

jzman

Quote from: akfish on November 11, 2016, 03:06:05 AM
strip the threads in the cast aluminum frame and, I suspect, some come from the factory already stripped.

Yes! The aluminum is really brittle. Also, it doesn't help that the frame threads are slightly more coarser than the screw.  The factory where they came from must have lousy taps  ::).

ijlal

Fathom and Squall are essentially the same reels with different frames.

I love my SQL30LD and use it with handle in power position on my Quantum Boca conventional jig rod. It works super great even at a very high gear ratio of 6:1, far better than a friend's Avet SX 5.3 that has little torque for jigging.

I am planning to get the Fathom FTH25NLD to replace my Squall because of the narrow spool and sturdier Aluminum frame. The lower 5.3:1 gear ratio should further make all-day jigging a tireless thing.

Cheers!
I live 'fishing'!

Tile

I have my Fathom 25LW for almost a year and it is performing very well. As Akfish mentioned care must be taken when tightening the frame screws - it applies to all diecast aluminum framed reels. When they are modified (the Stardrag and Levelwind series) with an antireverse security spring they are very reliable bits of kit.
In solid fiberglass we trust

coastal_dan

I'll be sea-bassing with my 2 speed 15 Fathom next Friday...can't wait.  Fantastic sized reel.

I believe the Squall and the Fathom also differ in the quality of the gears...from what I remember the Fathom gears are CNC'd here in the US and sent overseas for assembly...we may need confirmation/denial from Tony or Steve on that one...
Dan from Philadelphia...

Where Land Ends Life Begins...

hurt locker

Recently went to the James river and had 2--15LW Fathoms,  2----25LW Fathoms and  2----20LW Squalls with us on the trip. The 15LW caught the biggest Cat at 72lbs using 10-12 lbs of drag. The 25LW caught a 56 and the Squall caught a  50 pounder. We also caught numerous 40 and 30 Pounders. All 6 reels worked flawlessly for all 3 days. My friend who is a guide on the James fished 2--15LW Fathoms for 2 years at 300 days per year and only problem was wore out both handles but he was reeling in 4 to 12OZ plus bait every cast. He is not a maintenance type guy either. I can't begin to wonder how many 20 to 80 pound cats that were caught in the 2 years.

johndtuttle

Quote from: coastal_dan on December 01, 2016, 02:35:42 AM
I'll be sea-bassing with my 2 speed 15 Fathom next Friday...can't wait.  Fantastic sized reel.

I believe the Squall and the Fathom also differ in the quality of the gears...from what I remember the Fathom gears are CNC'd here in the US and sent overseas for assembly...we may need confirmation/denial from Tony or Steve on that one...

I think I was responsible for that rumor but it turns out I was wrong (or mis-interpreted something). The Squall LD and the Fathom's LD gears are made overseas, both are stainless and top notch. The Squall star drags use Brass, similar to the Fathom Star.

ijlal

Quote from: ijlal on November 23, 2016, 07:55:05 AM
Fathom and Squall are essentially the same reels with different frames.

I love my SQL30LD and use it with handle in power position on my Quantum Boca conventional jig rod. It works super great even at a very high gear ratio of 6:1, far better than a friend's Avet SX 5.3 that has little torque for jigging.

I am planning to get the Fathom FTH25NLD to replace my Squall because of the narrow spool and sturdier Aluminum frame. The lower 5.3:1 gear ratio should further make all-day jigging a tireless thing.

Cheers!

I correct myself. The graphite Squall LD (single speeds) have two thrust bearings each, while the aluminum Fathom LD's have one thrust bearing each. no idea about the star drags.
I live 'fishing'!

bmullaney

Quote from: reel man on November 10, 2016, 10:45:48 PM
I think Penn has finally produced a series of reels that equal or better their competition in the Fathom lineup.  Used the 30, 2 spd, and 40, 2 spd on a 9 day trip for wahoo, and couldn't be more pleased with the feel of these reels, and performance.  They are so much lighter that other reels, and their gear ratio is just about spot on.  Got home and ordered a 25, also a 15 for other applications.  They do offer star drag reels in the Fathom line up for those who prefer adjusting the drag on the fly, but both reels spin very nicely.  They offer a 60 model, but I don't have an application to need that big reel.

I used a Fathom25N last week on a friends boat and really liked it. I bought 2 yesterday I am done with Avet's after 15 years.