Penn ht-100 drag washer for Penn 349 and 349h

Started by George4741, April 20, 2011, 03:47:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

George4741

Alan,

Do you know the drag washer dimensions of a Penn 349 and 349h?

George
viurem lliures o morirem

alantani

i don't, but i do know you can either cut down a penn #6-115 or use a #6-113h and have it wobble around a bit, which is fine.
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

George4741

viurem lliures o morirem

Wayne B.

This is a reply to an old thread, but I thought the information I have learned recently might help someone from making the same mistakes I did if you reference this thread and possibly others.

Alan was 100% correct with reference to the 113H drag washers working in a 349 reel. Problem I had is I did not pay attention to detail and bought 6-113 washers, not 6-113H washers. The 6-113's are too small.

In general I have found that at least in the 113's and 349's, the drag washers are smaller in the low speed reels when compared to the high speed "H" reels. This may apply to other reel series as well.

mikeysm

I bought every 349 and 349h parts I could find a year ago. Also I bought several nos reels. I was lucky Dawn had the washers for both at the time. Now I have enough spares till I die.

Mike

Wayne B.

I just received some 6-115 rag washers that look like old brake shoe material. Since I need to grind the OD a bit to fit my reel, I was wondering if this material contains asbestos.

RowdyW

If they are real thick & a grayish color they are probably asbestos. Everybody should know how dangerous asbestos is to your health. Even carbon fiber dust is bad for you but not like asbestos which will stay with you for life. If handeling asbestos always wash hands before handeling anything to eat or even a cigarette. I would trash them & use something else like carbon fiber.                  Rudy

Wayne B.

Thanks Rudy. My thoughts exactly. In the trash they go...not worth the risk.

Wayne B.

Rudy, I changed my mind. I soaked the washers in oil and kept them wet while I was hand coarse filing them. In fact, I think the oil reduced my filing effort. I think I reduced my risk to an acceptable level. Trying to reduce the OD of the washers with a power grinder or Dremel would still scare me.

RowdyW

Those washers were designed to be used dry. They are the same material that was used for the brakes on your car many years ago before anyone knew the dangers of asbestos. Would you oil the brakes on your car? Once oiled they will never be right & get grabby when heated up. I know what I do with them but they are yours so do as you wish but don't forget where any of the residue is after you are done handleing & filing them. (hands,clothes,in the air, on the work bench, on your shoes,& of course on your tools. Don't forget that when you oil them & start filing them that after a stroke or two you will cut through the wet surface & hit the dry stuff. I'm wondering why you are so determined to reuse asbestos washers when there are alternatives to use other material that will give better preformance.