Penn 26 Monofil

Started by Reel 224, September 15, 2018, 01:33:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Reel 224

I just finished a Penn 26 Monofil That was a project reel. I apologize for not taking any pictures wile do this reel, my only excuse isIt was a piece meal job between a bunch of other work on rods and my new machine shop.

Anyway first of all the reel needed a internal cleaning all around, this reel is simple dissemble and conman to the early Penn's up to the 500s.

What I found in assembly was keeping the dog in place wile rotating the Bridge plate into position without some manual dexterity, I had to adjust the frame posts to get them aliened with the right side plate so they were not torquing the reel.

The dog and bridge sleeve were not engaging so that was a trifle bit of a task to get it to work properly but removing it a few times I detected the problem. By filing a sharp angle on the dog and adjusting the dog spring it worked efficiently.

This little reel is a nice reel to work on and practice on..............................Joe     
"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."

Swami805

Great little reels perfect for 20lb. They cast pretty well too with  tsi321 in the bushings. I started using painters tape to hold in the bridge screws,a good 3rd hand to free one up for the dog.
Do what you can with that you have where you are

Reel 224

I use 321 on all reels, I also tried the tape but it's hard to get it to stick on a grease screw and side plate. I will try that reel when ever the weather cooperates. It's rained every day for 9 days. I'm ready to start building an Ark...........................Joe 
"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."

Porthos

With a SS gear sleeve, a Tiburon frame, an aluminum spool, a 13-200 pinion, and a power handle, it can fish 40lb.

Reel 224

It's a nice little reel but I don't know that I want to do all that, I'd rather spend money on the 112H plats that are in the works. Good information though.............................Joe

STRIPER LOU

Joe, those Monfils make a sweet little reel for fluke and sea bass. The colored one's are starting to get a bit pricey!

................best,  Lou

Reel 224

Thanks Lou but I have so many Fluke reels now I don't know what to do. I want to concentrate on the bigger reels........................Joe

Gfish

Quote from: Swami805 on September 15, 2018, 01:59:05 AM
Great little reels perfect for 20lb. They cast pretty well too with  tsi321 in the bushings. I started using painters tape to hold in the bridge screws,a good 3rd hand to free one up for the dog.
Anyone have problems using <25 lb. mono on vintage penn conventionals, i.e., line getting past spool and into side plates? Other day I's testing a 506 with 2/3 of a spool of 12 lb. mono and even when I backlashed, no problems, not to mention it casted so well relative to heavier lines and the spool wasn't full. Then again a 180 I have sometimes eats 30lb.???

Come on Joe, pictures a the finished product, please!
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

thorhammer

yes. surfmaster and squidder give me issues on that; I usually try to stay 20-25 mono on them.

Reel 224

I will take pictures. Thorhammer You could try shimming the handle side of the spool to take up gap in the spool and the plate sow the line doesn't have the chance to get under or between the spool and plate.......................Joe

Porthos

When retrieving and thumbing 50lb braid to 40lb top shot with the Penn 27 and 970, my eyes are on the spool with momentary glances up to check if the bearing of the line is still directly in front of me, Has worked so far for avoiding the gap issue with these old reels.

I was able to finally obtain a stainless steel 15-155 for my 27 from Lee. Hopefully will be able to complete the last round of upgrades this weekend.

Reel 224

Here is the picture of the mono fill 26 finished And a sea Gate that is not like any other that I could find on schematic nears one I found was a Sea Gate 128or 126 Every thing was the same but the dog and spring I had to find a spare dog and leaf spring to make it work. The Sea Gate was without a dog or spring(it was missing)   .......................Joe

P.S. I used a 200 dog and spring for the Sea Gate. The Sea gate did not have a number on it just Sea Gate.

Decker

About the line on these vintage Penns... 

• I have 10lb Fireline on a Squidder 146 that I use from the boat for fluke.  Casting is minimal, so I haven't had a problem.  The thinness helps the jig stay down, and the Fireline doesn't seem as squirrely as regular braid.
  • I have a Baymaster 180 with about 80-90 lb PP super-slick on it.  Wasn't my idea to go so heavy, but I've heard others do that for manageability.  It casts great from jettys and I have yet to birdsnest it.
  • A guy I know that surf-casts vintage Penns likes to use about 40lb braid with his Squidder and Jigmaster.
  • I've gotten 30lb mono stuck in the side (or cut on the side) of my Squidder 140, but that was night fishing from the beach, so...
  • Mono seems to be the safer choice, especially for all-out power casting, but I'm trying to use braid more.

I like the mid-size reels (145,150,26, etc.) for surf-casting.   If using braid, they have plenty of capacity.  Burnt thumbs will surely happen, but wet line and thumbing the spool flange is an answer.

Porthos' 27 is inspirational.   I saw the threads months ago, and they encouraged me to fish the 180.  Mine has a Tiburon frame and aluminum spool, but I haven't upgraded internals yet.  The 180 (like the 27) is much lighter in weight than the 100 or 146, and it looks like with upgrades it can work every bit as hard.

Reel 224

Joe; So you would suggest the Sea Gate be loaded with 80-90# Power Pro and the 26 Mono Fill be loaded with 30# mono? I would prefer 20# Mono or 50# Power Pro on the mono fill 26. What is your thought?...........................Joe two

Decker

Quote from: Reel 224 on September 19, 2018, 10:05:25 PM
Joe; So you would suggest the Sea Gate be loaded with 80-90# Power Pro and the 26 Mono Fill be loaded with 30# mono? I would prefer 20# Mono or 50# Power Pro on the mono fill 26. What is your thought?...........................Joe two

Jersey-Joe,

Sorry if I have confused things.  I'm not really the one to give recommendations, just intended to give my experience.  Although mono works best all-around on those reels (no doubt), you can take advantage of some braid (or other super-line) characteristics in the right circumstances.  If you can avoid potentially back-lashing, why not give braid a try?  

50# Power Pro on the Monofil 26 sounds good to me for light casting.  The Seagate is basically an LB60, right?  If fishing it deep for medium-big fish like tog, the 50# PP would work there too, though 30# mono would give you more abrasion resistance on hard structure.

Joe-PA