New to Penn !!

Started by Zimbass, September 26, 2018, 11:56:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zimbass

Hi All,

I have done thousands of baitcasters, and spinners, but, never done a Penn.

I have 3 reels from a friend that I am going to service, and am asking for some guidance and advice. I know there are many tutorials on here to follow,but wanted to make sure the ones I have in hand are the same as the others.

The reels are:

Penn Delmar 286 (foot 30-600
Penn 180 (foot 30-60)
Penn 60 Long Beach (foot 30-180S)

Would someone point me in the right direction, and advise if there are pitfalls to look out for.

Reels have no corrosion that is visible, having only been used in freshwater, so expect them to unbutton without too much effort.

Thanks in advance.

Best.

Terry.

Never was so much owed by so many to so few.

Bill B

All as basically the same.  The Long Beach has inner chrome rings.  If you look up a tutorial on the Long Beach the rest will be similiar.  The only difference may be the dog springs which could be a flat leaf spring of small coil spring.  Either way take care during disassembly and assembly otherwise the spring will launch into next week.... Use good fitting screwdrivers and make sure you use a Penn wrench for the handle nut.  Tear into them and shout out if you get stuck and we will be happy to provide guidance.....Bill
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

Ron Jones

The number one thing to do, other than not losing the drag spring, is replace the drags with HT-100 material greased with teflon drag grease. Check the end of the gear sleeve (sometimes called a drive shaft,) to make sure it isn't buggered up. If it is, the handle will never feel solid. If you have teflon sheet, putting a few dots in the bronze bushings goes a long way to increasing smoothness
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

Zimbass

Thank you Bill and Ron.

I will be sure to heed your warning !!

If I do come across any issues, I will ask for guidance and advice.

Best.

Terry.
Never was so much owed by so many to so few.

Ron Jones

Believe me, we are full of it here!
Happy to help
Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"