5+1 Drag Stack for Penn 500/501 reels

Started by Bryan Young, June 15, 2013, 05:49:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bryan Young

Quote from: kmstorm64 on July 06, 2014, 10:51:08 PM
Hi Bryan,

I put the 5+1 kit in, and now I have less than 1 lb of drag.  This reel is an older reel with bakelite side plates that Alan had worked on a few years ago. It has his SS gear sleeve and I just threw the Pro Challenger  SS kit in as well.  Alan had previous removed the Bellevile washer.  Would this cause the lack of drag or would I need an extra drag disc?  Thanks

I suspect that the last eared washer is resting on top of the edge of the gear. 

With my belleville washer, and if you don't shave some of the height of the spacer, you should get about 2# of drag with the star fully backed off, especially with the 500/501s.  You may want to try to disassemble and reassemble again.  I suggest using extra drag grease on the washers to make sure that the washers does not slip out of the gear.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

kmstorm64

Thanks, Bryan, maybe a day or three before I get to it.
Bad day of fishing still beats a good day at work!

Panama

Hi Bryan,
Time to get my start-up (again) collection together.  I would like to purchase a few of these, but first would like to test in one of my reels.
I have 2 penn 500 narrowed to 99 size with a Newell 5:1 gear, (one with an AT SS bridge) in it.  What stack would be best?  I also have a 505 and a 501, both standard parts.  What do you suggest?  How much per respective sets?
Anthony
Get on the water, Man!!!

Bryan Young

Hi Anthony,

Sorry, I saw your posting on my phone and I could not relocate it until now.

I would say any of the reels would be fine to try out except your Penn 505 as I have shreaded the 505 gears with about 18# of drag (or at least that is what I think it was set for).  The set is $27 per set and the set includes 5 thin metal washers, 5 think carbontex in gear washers, 1 carbontex undergear washer and a belleville washer for the top of the stack.

PM me if you are interested.

Thank you,
Bryan
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Fishboy

Bryan, I just installed your 5+ drag in my very lightly used Penn 500. I used Cal's grease and followed your instructions but I'm
not getting a smooth drag pull over 5#.  It's not really jerky but it's certainly not a steady pull.  Any suggestions to trouble shoot?
How much grease is enough?

Gfish

I've heard tell of some Penn main gears, where the slots for the eared washers aren't formed deep enough for the first(lower) eared washer to put pressure on the 2 brake washers & 1 keyed washer, below. Also, the upper(2nd) eared washer can easily pop outta place during assembly. It's somethin to check, though if yer gettin 5 lbs. of drag, it don't seem real likely.

What's worked best for me, is to over-grease 'em a little, reassemble, work the drag till it's warm, then disassemble and wipe off the excess.
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

Fishboy

Thanks. I'll check out the washers and grease and rebuild.

Bryan Young

My recommendation would be as GFish has indicated in his previous post. I then work the drag in a little by tying off the drag on a scale then set the drag at 3# and pull, wind, pull, wind,... about 5 times then increase the drag to 5# then repeat then 8# then repeat. This should set the drags and cost the drags with grease thoroughly.

My jigmasters are set for 10-15# of drag depending on the line on my reel. Then pull against the drag for 5 times as above then I'm set. No further adjustments and the reel is ready to fish.