Hex Drag 400h Diawa

Started by gstours, March 27, 2014, 05:23:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gstours

Hello again, I wanted to share these pictures with those interested before they got lost or shuffled into oblivion.
  Making the Diawa sealine into a hex gear seemed possible, as I did a 600h a while back and it was a great success.....see the post in the diawa section..  So I did a batch of three sealine 400h,s with the hex gear this winter for a indoor activity....and they are for sale on a make offer basis.

The reel put out 39 pounds of drag in the hanging lead test.  See the next picture.

The stock main gear was used and a hex was milled using a 4flute end mill cutter, the metal keyed washers are .025''heattreated titanium and were water jet cut by "Keta" ....then cf hex washers are 1.20mm laminated type. the layout is shown below.

the double dog is standard now on most of the higher drag rated reel, and quite easily done as shown here. I used the factory coil spring again on the 2nd dog. the tiny hole was a number drill and went thru the metal area outside of the drilled screw hole for the sideplate screw as shown below

The drag stack had room for another couple of washers above the gear and would still fit in the sideplate without modification. so that was another area of improvement.  see the calipers and note.

So the top steel washer was dropped and a eared steel washer replaced it ant was the top washer to fit the gear, Then another cf washer was added and a thick keyed washer, and that is what makes it work so well.  The room is there if you use it wisely.....see pic below.

This was a fun project, the hex is clearly the way to go from my standpoint, time will tell where the weak components are in any reel and certainly after modifying it to any extent.  the diawas are good reels, generally less money, parts are less costly. the sealines have a 1 pc frame, and alum endplates.  If anybody has questions about the above post write me, If I can help people mill a gear, or an endplate or dog, I,ll try to help......send me a pm. in the am!!!!!!!!!!!!!!gst.........

BMITCH

Nice work GS. Looks very clean and tidy.
Bob
luck is the residue of design.

Alto Mare

Nice job Gary, I'm still not crazy about any radius at the corners, it would be nice if they were sharper angles, as Lee's inserts.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Darin Crofton

Gary, Would you mind reloading the pics from this post? I think it would be great help for anyone wanting to see what's possible with these reels.
If you don't have them or can't find them I understand. Thank you, Darin
God, Family and Fishing, what else is there?

gstours

Thanks for the interest.  Daran it will be a week until I get to normal,  I'm traveling,  will do ,  thanks again.🚣‍♀️✈️

Darin Crofton

gstours

Daron and others,  I am traveling and soon will retrieve the drag, gear, dogs and stuff pictures stored.
  For now here is a custom crank arm that's got a fer 200+ pound halibut with no reel problem.

gstours

The Okuma grip is rubber and offset perfectly. The arm is tig welded stainless steel.

Darin Crofton

That looks so good on the 400h, thanks for sharing!