12/0 bridge problems & more

Started by dbiscayne, November 04, 2018, 04:45:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AC49

Thank you Sal much appreciated  :)

sdlehr

I've never seen one loose, but I have no reels larger than a 12/0 Senator.
Sid Lehr
Veterinarian, fishing enthusiast, custom rod builder, reel collector

Gfish

I noticed my '60's Jiggy 500 had one a those shields and my 80's 505 HS didn't. Maybe the comming loose thing was a problem, but a "splash" shield seems like a good idea.
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

Alto Mare

I might be calling them the wrong name, but shields make the most sense to me. The plastic bag I have with a couple of these shields says plate rings.
Penn already uses  I-Ring and O-Ring, for inner ring and outer ring, so it might be right :-\
No matter what its called, we do know that they are removable, I have 3 large plate with them in and 4 without. The ones that are set in come out with very little effort and all are new.

Quote from: sdlehr on January 29, 2019, 02:48:08 PM
I've never seen one loose, but I have no reels larger than a 12/0 Senator.

That would make sense.

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

AC49

Sal I have heard them being referred to as "collars" ... anyway kept the 12/0 original and thanks to yours and Darons excellent step by step posts I was able to bring it back to life after spending over 25 years in someone's shed ...  :(

Nothing special but my 1st 12/0 attempt so it went ok

Regards
AC49

Alto Mare

Collar makes sense, but since it is removable it should also have a part #.

I have a large folder, it has listing for over 500 penn parts, but all I see mentioned is drag cover, no pics or numbers.

Maybe Tony from PENN could chime in, it is always good to get the correct part #...unless it just doesn't exist.

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Alto Mare

Alan the arm on that red handle appears to have a different shape, but it might be the angle of the pic.
Is it like the rest?

Thanks,

Sal

AC49

Quote from: Alto Mare on January 29, 2019, 10:40:21 PM
Alan the arm on that red handle appears to have a different shape, but it might be the angle of the pic.
Is it like the rest?

Thanks,

Sal

Hi Sal the handle seems made from grandpa's shed a while back using some aluminium. Based on the damage to the knob there was clearly an issue back then that caused this homemade handle to be constructed  :-\

Regards
AC49

Alto Mare

Well, taking availabilities into the matter, I think it's a very good job.
Thanks for the closer pic, Alan!

Sal

sdlehr

That's aluminum? Doesn't look the right color for aluminum to me. Could be the lighting.
Sid Lehr

Reel 224

"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."

sdlehr

Uh, Joe, you're welcome, but, what problem might that have been? :)
Sid Lehr

Reel 224

Quote from: sdlehr on January 30, 2019, 09:49:50 PM

Oh sorry I was talking about the insert that the crank side has in the plate. I'm going to make my own to get a interrupted fit.

Joe 
"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."

sdlehr

Quote from: Reel 224 on January 31, 2019, 12:01:54 AM
Quote from: sdlehr on January 30, 2019, 09:49:50 PM

Oh sorry I was talking about the insert that the crank side has in the plate. I'm going to make my own to get a interrupted fit.

Joe 
Cool, please show us how you do this.
Sid Lehr

Reel 224

I'm going to do it on my Lathe either with tubing or round stock. What I measured was 22.225mm for the hole, I want a tight fit. So I'm working on weather to do a slight ring at the top side or a crimp on the inside. I have a plate to work on so it's in the works.

Joe