Jigmaster 505hs question

Started by Kayak Tony, April 19, 2019, 12:52:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kayak Tony

This is probably one of those no question is stupid but this question type of questions, but here goes anyway.  I've searched the site and checked Mystic Parts but can't find the information I'm looking for. Will the bridge in a Jigmaster 500 interchange with the bridge in a 505hs? I want to upgrade to full stainless internal if possible and can't locate a stainless bridge for my 505hs.

Thanks in advanced for helping the new to Penn reels guy,
Tony

Gfish

Welcome Tony! Alright, another Kayak guy.
The bridge-plate on the HS Jigmasters is 3 - 4mm wider than that of 500/506. But that dosen't nessassarily mean they wouldn't interchange. My guess is no, but I've never thought a tryin it...
Lemme know if you need me to check it out, I have both, if you don't, and it's an interesting idea.
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

nelz

Tony, welcome aboard. I have a 505HS and have read several times here that the 500 bridges will not fit a 505HS. Like Gfish said, the 505 is wider.

Kayak Tony

I thought that it most likely wouldn't work, but figured it was worth asking. I'll probably use a set of 500 stainless gears to get a beefier tooth on the gears and just get all the stainless parts I can.

Thanks for the info.

foakes

Welcome aboard, Tony!

The bridges on these tough little Penn conventional reels are not that necessary to be SS.

At stock — it is thick and substantial, plus already being supported by 4 long screws, and solidly attached to the sideplate.

Unless you are running aluminum sideplates (you didn't mention that, and I wouldn't personally recommend that setup for a kayak reel) — the Bakelite Side-plate would fail before the bridge would ever think of distorting.

Other parts that move and interact are more important to be constructed of SS (sleeve, dog, gears, yoke, etc..).

Smart move on the 500 gears — a little more cranking power, and a better tooth interaction.

Due to the nature of kayak fishing where you and your rig are close to the surface — the reel becomes a bigger component when bringing in a large fish.

I am sure that you already realize that a pretty much full SS Penn will make a little more noise than a stock one — but that is a trade-off that I am willing to abide — because I have confidence that the reel will do its job well.

Good question!

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Kayak Tony

Thanks Fred.

This reel will see some use on the kayak but mostly it will be shore-fished with baits yakked out, and no it doesn't have aluminium side plates, but I was debating a Tiburon frame for it maybe in the wide since it wouldn't be my go to kayak reel.

Tony