Need help: PENN 501 take apart screw install

Started by Mrc70, April 28, 2019, 01:17:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mrc70

Hello everyone. I just bought a PENN 501 in great shape. It was missing the take apart screw so I ordered one and it just arrived today. It looks like the small brass collar from the previous take apart screw is in place. So, do I remove the small brass collar from the NEW screw or do I remove the OLD brass collar that is currently in place on the reel? Pics attached. Thanks in advance!

JRD

I leave the brass piece in the plate, it's not worth the risk of damage.  I also use a dental pick to make sure that little brass "nut" is tight then score the take down pin threads so the nut doesn't back off again

Mrc70

Thanks but not sure I follow. If I leave the brass collar that is already in place, the take apart screw does not fit. So, I either need to remove the collar on the screw or remove the collar from the reel.

JRD

Quote from: Mrc70 on April 28, 2019, 02:11:36 AM
Thanks but not sure I follow. If I leave the brass collar that is already in place, the take apart screw does not fit. So, I either need to remove the collar on the screw or remove the collar from the reel.

Leave the existing collar in the reel, remove the collar from the new assembly and toss in your parts bin.  The "nut" I'm talking about is the little brass piece on the bottom which threads onto the pin and holds the spring in place.

Mrc70

Thanks for the input. I was actually able to remove the old collar from the reel and install the new screw as-is. I was careful not to apply too much pressure when removing the old collar.