Gear Sleeves: 98-60 vs. 98-155

Started by Gfish, November 09, 2018, 03:02:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gfish

What are the main diffrences between the 98-60 and the 98-155? It looks like the '60 is the same outside diameter as the '155, but the stock undergear washer is smaller o.d. than the '60. What about hight  diffrences?

There are some diffrences on the bridge stud(spindle) being  a smaller o.d. on older reels, therefore requiring a corresponding and unique i.d. for the proper sleeve, right? If this's the case, I assume "aftermarket" gear sleeves for the narrower diameter bridge studs don't exist? Is there a way to tell which reels might have the thinner stud(spindle) before you buy?

Needa know before I buy older reels.
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

handi2

OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

Gfish

Thanks Keith.
What about how tall each one is? Are they both the same i.d.? Could they possibly be interchanged, say a 155 gear sleeve ona 3-60 or 3-66 bridge plate, or vise-versa?
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

foakes

It is possible to make anything work, Greg —

Given the right amount of "metallic removal adjustment"...

Switching might be possible — and you will possibly involve the dog, pinion gear hole, gears, dog spring, yoke, and maybe a little more or less...

Not sure what you are attempting to accomplish — but if some parts that you need or do not have would help — I can send some your way, N/C.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Gfish

Thanks Fred. Tryin to figure out what I may buy without bein able to hold it in my hands.
I write the way I think, then forget to edit sometimes.
No needa parts yet. The 98-60 looks taller than the 98-155 in your picture?
If they's interchangeable, the only things  I could thinka would be to switch to a 98-60 for more rachet leverage, or so I can replace a worn out gear sleeve without buying a new one( say replace a 98-155 with one of several 98-60 I already have).
I gotta be missin something here. If the o.d. and the i.d. and threads and height are the same, why even have the smaller rachet on the 155? I godda disassemble some reels and see...

mo65

Quote from: Gfish on November 10, 2018, 04:19:52 AM
I gotta be missin something here. If the o.d. and the i.d. and threads and height are the same, why even have the smaller rachet on the 155? I godda disassemble some reels and see...

I don't know this to be correct...but I figure the only point of the #98-155 was to better fit to small reels like Beachmasters, Surfmasters, and Squidders. The smaller ratchet is sized to work with those smaller bridges and gears. You can swap or sub #98-60s for #98-155s but the different diameter ratchet will reguire AR dog adjustment or modification  in some cases. I swapped out the #98-155 for a #98-60 in my Mag 10 so that I could use a custom under gear washer set up. These pics show how the larger ratchet will better support the carbontex/stainless steel under gear set. The first photo is the #98-155, the second is the #98-60. 8)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

Gfish

Ok...Thanks Moderator Fred and Sensei's Mo & Keith!
So I hada try it. The 98-60 sleeve actually fit and WORKED when I replaced a 98-155 with it on a Squidder... sorta... The anti-reverse-off function was disabled by the bigger gear sleeve rachet pushin the dog out a couple a mm's further out. However, I was gettin good loud solid anti-reverse with the "on" function of the lever and less loud but solid anti-reverse function even in the "off" position. So I guess if one didn't like anti-reverse on/off function ona Squidder they could use a 98-60 as one way to disable it.

Indeed the Squidder bridge(3-200) was small compared to a 3-66. But the bigger rachet(98-60)didn't come close to rubbin on the head plate and the Squidder dog fit almost perfectly into the rachet teeth.