3D printed frame reinforcement

Started by TexasShark, November 04, 2018, 04:54:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Keta

Quote from: TexasShark on November 06, 2018, 06:21:46 AM
I'm not sure if it's a 3 piece or not.

This is what a 3 piece spool will look like.

Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

TexasShark

Here's the side of my spool. I gathered from a post from Sid that this is also a 3-piece spool.

alantani

Quote from: Decker on November 07, 2018, 03:22:43 PM
Could someone explain the weakness of the three-piece spool?  Aren't all (or most) of the Penn stainless steel spools 3-piece?  

P.S. Searching other threads, I gather this is related to compression of monofilament line.  Maybe the compression of the mono can pull the spool apart? If so, does the three-piece weakness not apply to braid?

send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Shark Hunter

A 9/0 one piece spool is cast as a solid unit, Just making it stronger and not letting the flanges warp under the pressure of mono trying to return to its original shape.
The Aluminum spool is just for weight reduction and Bronze is not used any longer.
Like Steve said, He never had problems with them back in the 60's.
50 years later, that is just not a chance I am willing to take.
I only use one piece, Whether Aluminum or Bronze.
Looking at the sides of the spool will not tell the full story. You need to remove the line to be sure.

More info on three piece spools.
http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=18695.0
http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=19329.0

Life is Good!

Ron Jones

If you notice, the spools that Alan and Lee posted look different. The spool that Lee psted is a super strong, heavy spool that I believe is made of SS. The flanged spool that Alan has pictured is the one that has problems. I've popped 3 of them in the last few years, including one of the only decent fish I saw caught in Hawaii.
The Man
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

Maxed Out

Quote from: Ron Jones on November 07, 2018, 07:21:43 PM
If you notice, the spools that Alan and Lee posted look different. The spool that Lee psted is a super strong, heavy spool that I believe is made of SS. The flanged spool that Alan has pictured is the one that has problems. I've popped 3 of them in the last few years, including one of the only decent fish I saw caught in Hawaii.
The Man

I'm pretty sure Penn never made a stainless steel spool for the 9/0, but like Daron said, the one piece cast bronze spool can take the punishment

Ted
We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!

TexasShark

Maxed Out, is the entire 1 piece cast bronze spool made with bronze? I was wondering what the material is on the ends of the shaft that would go in my bushings. I'm assuming that would require a harder material than a rely with bearings would require.