El Pescador

Quote from: Dominick on November 23, 2018, 06:28:34 PM
... I might go for only a few drill bits as I don't use a lot.  Dominick

Dominick!

Don't know why you just need a few drill bits,

YOU JUST HAVE A SCREW LOOSE ;D :o

I'm dropping off Rick's Jerky later today,

Wayne
Never let the skinny guys make the sandwiches!!  NEVER!!!!

Alto Mare

Quote from: El Pescador on November 23, 2018, 07:26:41 PM
Quote from: Dominick on November 23, 2018, 06:28:34 PM
... I might go for only a few drill bits as I don't use a lot.  Dominick

Dominick!

Don't know why you just need a few drill bits,

YOU JUST HAVE A SCREW LOOSE ;D :o

I'm dropping off Rick's Jerky later today,

Wayne
You beat me to it ;D...
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Dominick

Yeah, and I don't use a lot of my screws either.   :D ;D ;D Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

El Pescador

Sal!

When served up a whiffle ball...

I swing for the fence!

Next time the underhand pitch from Dominick sails right over the plate is yours Sal!

Wayne
Never let the skinny guys make the sandwiches!!  NEVER!!!!

Dominick

Yuck, yuck yuck, now tell them about the Donner party... Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Reel 224

My use of drill bits are machine bits. I use jobber bits very seldom.........................Joe
"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."

Donnyboat

Fred & Joe thanks for you info, very good, & Wayne thanks for your info, on the screw loose, I try to stay away from thems blokes, is there anymore like that Wayne, cheers Don.
Don, or donnyboat

Alto Mare

First, I'm not a machinist. I was drilling stainless steel shafts using cobalt high-speed bits, I purchased a broken new box on line for 50% off. They are still doing a good job, but for the stainless steel shaft, I wasn't too happy.
A friend  mentioned irwin black and gold high-speed steel bits. he said to try plain water with a spay bottle to keep them cool...I was impressed. This was the reason I asked Mike what he uses for his custom work. Mike said cobalt, by the way.

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Donnyboat

Hi Sal you always helpful, thanks a million buddy, Cheers Don.
Don, or donnyboat

Alto Mare

Quote from: Donnyboat on November 24, 2018, 01:19:30 PM
Hi Sal you always helpful, thanks a million buddy, Cheers Don.

Hello Don, I just wanted to put out my experience with these for what its worth. Usually I don't follow the rating of the product, unless it has a bunch of negative comments. I like to try them for myself.
I'm certainly not pushing you away from what the pros have mentioned above :).

Best,

Sal

Reel 224

Sal: You don't have to a Machinist to learn something about the tools that are used, For boring holes is Stainless it is better to use screw machine bit in order to keep the bore straight, jobber bits have to much flex. We can learn from every person here if they are willing to advise.

Joe   
"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."

RowdyW

Quote from: Alto Mare on November 24, 2018, 12:49:42 PM
First, I'm not a machinist. I was drilling stainless steel shafts using cobalt high-speed bits, I purchased a broken new box on line for 50% off. They are still doing a good job, but for the stainless steel shaft, I wasn't too happy.
A friend  mentioned irwin black and gold high-speed steel bits. he said to try plain water with a spay bottle to keep them cool...I was impressed. This was the reason I asked Mike what he uses for his custom work. Mike said cobalt, by the way.

Sal
Sal, if you get the chance try some water soluable cutting oil. I know it is available at industrial hardware stores. It can be mixed with water 10:1,20:1,30:1,etc. Years ago when I worked in my Dad's machine shop that's all we used for all metals. The other good part about it is any over spray that gets on the machinery the water evapoates & the oil protects the machinery.             Rudy

George6308

Brownells's also has a cutting/tapping lube: Do Drill.

Three se7ens

Quote from: Reel 224 on November 24, 2018, 06:28:05 PM
Sal: You don't have to a Machinist to learn something about the tools that are used, For boring holes is Stainless it is better to use screw machine bit in order to keep the bore straight, jobber bits have to much flex. We can learn from every person here if they are willing to advise.

Joe   

I second that.  I use screw machine length bits almost exclusively.  They are plenty long for nearly everything, and work so much better.  They flex less, walk less, and you can put more pressure on them, which is just what you need for stainless.  I get mine from mcmaster because I mostly only use them in a handful of sizes for tapped holes.  Lots of options there.

And if you have a setup that accomodates them (drill press or mill, and a well clamped workpiece), carbide drill bits are awesome.  They go through stainless and titanium like butter. 

oc1

While the experts are here....
Do 135 degree bits will walk less on stainless than 118 degree bits?  Or, do I have that backwards?
Thanks,
-steve