Oceanside 107 Reel

Started by tomcat, July 23, 2013, 01:30:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tomcat

I recently purchased a pristine Oceanside 107 fishing reel at an antique store for a few bucks.  I am very impressed with the quality of this reel.  The reel was very dry so I took it apart for a cleaning and lubrication.  I am now having trouble putting the bridge plate back into place as it will not lie flush.  Does anyone have a schematidc for this reel?  I am an experienced fisherman who has been servicing my various brands of reels for 40 years without a hitch but this one has me stumped.

Bryan Young

Sorry, I haven't seen this reel before. Do you have any pics?
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

john2244

Nice find!!!  A schematic may be difficult for find.  My info shows that a Penn Oceanside was manufactured between 1934 and 1938.  Also, the number 107 relates to a Penn Bay Head reel and not a Penn Oceanside.   Back in the 30's only the name of a reel was on the side plate and not the number in most cases. Again, this info is limited and could be in error.  Love to see some pictures.
John

Second post: Sorry,  I just realized your reel may not be a Penn reel.  When I read  "Oceanside " the first thing I thought of, Penn reel.  
John

redsetta

G'day and welcome tc,
Is this your reel?

If so, it's a Japanese Olympic 107 LW Sportsfisher Oceanside, built for K-Mart.
No schematic, unfortunately, but I've done one or two before and don't remember anything particularly unusual about the set-up, ie basically a copy of the Penn 109/309.
Are you sure nothing's bent or burred?
Good luck, Justin
PS More details here, if useful: http://www.reelygone.com/pe11tifrus.html
Fortitudine vincimus - By endurance we conquer

tomcat

Yes, this is the reel.  I think the problem is related to the way I am installing the dog and spring.  I am placing the screw in the side plate and installing the spring and dog, then installing the plate and screwing it in place.  However it keep binding and won't turn.   The plate seems to be hitting something but I can't see under it.  I'll just keep playing around with it.  Sure would like to get a schematic for this beauty.  Very well made reel.  Blows away today's Chinese junk.  Looks like 1950's or 1960's vintage.  Thanks for the response.

Bryan Young

Sounds like the dog is caught. The spring is different. When closing up the reel, you need a pick or something to pull the dog back and then push the bridge down while you tighten the bridge screws.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Mic

Wow,
I thought I found the only one in captivity. My son was cleaning out some old boxes that belong to my father in law after his passing and he brought this to me to fix so he can fish with it.

Except for the dog spring, it's basically a Penn 109. Basically, but not quite. Seems like a pretty good reel ? I didn't see any rust or corrosion so I'd guess the materials used seemed to be of some good quality?

I'm going to soak the parts in penetrating oil for a day or two and then go at it with a grubby old tooth brush and put it back together. This might be something my son should build? Might mean more to him?

Thanks for posting the information on this 107

Mic

philaroman

I have a couple of those red K-Mart Olympics:

pristine 207 & 303 (too cheap to pass up)

any idea which Penn's they copy?