Penn 440SSg crosswind block plate screw hitting main gear

Started by Christopher M Songer, December 08, 2018, 03:47:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Christopher M Songer

Got this last night, owner says he got it new and only fished it a couple times. Makes slight grinding noise since the day he took it out of the box. Took it apart and it looked as if never opened.
I found the block plate screw came in contact with the teeth of the main gear for a second as you rotate the assemble. I took a razor thin shim under the main gear to see if that helped and I now have clearance and no more grinding noise. My concern is the slight change in geometry might affect the main gear teeth down the road. My other thought was to take the screw and sand the head down that same razor thin amount to clear the main gears. Concern that a Philips may not seat correctly next time it needs service. Honestly I don't think either way is going to poss a big problem especially if I take some off the screw head. I might take it apart again and see it something is interfering with the crosswind gear or block. I could smooth down the bottom of the block.  Pros or Cons please.
Always go forward, never go straight

foakes

You could also countersink the hole in the C/W block just enough to clear — then grind a corresponding hair off the thread end of the screw.

Sounds like someone installed the wrong screw — or the block is not right.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Midway Tommy

Your crosswind screws are wrong. They have a thinner head with a flat top (part #44A). Mystic Parts shows the correct number on their schematic but don't list it in the part column.

Here are photos from eReplacement Parts showing the correct screws.
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

Christopher M Songer

Always go forward, never go straight

Shark Hunter

My 550ssg has flat head screws?
You can see them when you zoom in.
I can't say for certain, but usually with Newer Penn Models. The only difference with a 4500 and 5500 is just a bigger spool with the same internals.
Life is Good!