Shimano TN20 gold **Upgrades?**

Started by KeithB, September 16, 2023, 05:41:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

KeithB

Trying to find the upgrades for a TN20. I have carbonex drag washers and plan to add new bearings. Anything else needed? And where can I find them?

Thanks for the help! :fish

CapeFish

You can add a clicking anti reverse pawl

Swami805

The A/R pawl and spring from a Trinidad DC if you can find one. It's a back up for the AR bearing. Look in the shimano section, there's a stickied thread there that explains it
Do what you can with that you have where you are

KeithB

I was reading about larger side plate, deeper main gear, and drive shaft. Part of a Cal's and or Shimano upgrade. Can't find these parts anywhere. Necessary?

boon

Just fish it within the limits it was intended to be and it will be completely fine. The clicking AR is only needed if you want to fill it with 80lb braid or something and lock the drag down.

CapeFish

Quote from: KeithB on September 16, 2023, 11:13:05 PMI was reading about larger side plate, deeper main gear, and drive shaft. Part of a Cal's and or Shimano upgrade. Can't find these parts anywhere. Necessary?

There was an upgrade from Shimano for the very early version later models came standard with a drag upgrade. Adding carbontex is a great idea

KeithB

Quote from: boon on September 18, 2023, 02:08:20 AMJust fish it within the limits it was intended to be and it will be completely fine. The clicking AR is only needed if you want to fill it with 80lb braid or something and lock the drag down.

Thank you and I completely agree with fishing reels within their limits. This is my 30# surface iron reel!