Penn Experts — Need Help with Size & Date

Started by foakes, December 15, 2018, 07:00:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

foakes

We have been over at the Monterey Peninsula area celebrating our 20th Anniversary this past week.

Picked up a few pieces — a rough 25 Monofil for $5, a 113H for $29, a couple of old Longbeaches for $12 each, and an old unused Harnell 8' flyrod in the sock.

Question is about the LB's.

Waffle clickers, old Penn badging, etc...

Both are in great mechanical condition with all functions operating well — so they just need a full cleanup and service — no parts to replace.

Thanks for any info!

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

sdlehr

Hope you're having fun, Fred! Just what you need, a few more fishing reels.

I'm going to guess '34-'36, I'm away from my references but I think the locking scalloped handle nut came along in '37, Hershey kiss clicker in '38 and picture tailplates in '39.

Sid
Sid Lehr
Veterinarian, fishing enthusiast, custom rod builder, reel collector

Gfish

Sid's probably got it, I's just gonna say pre-'39.
Best date the wife restaurant for me, was the Sardine Factory, bout a block up from the main drag(Cannery row).
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

foakes

Quote from: Gfish on December 15, 2018, 10:28:05 PM
Sid's probably got it, I's just gonna say pre-'39.
Best date the wife restaurant for me, was the Sardine Factory, bout a block up from the main drag(Cannery row).

One has a picture tailplate of an angler surf fishing with a sailboat, lighthouse, and gulls on the horizon — the other is blank — but they both have waffle clickers and hex nuts.

We also like the Sardine Factory, Greg  — the Abalone Bisque recipe that was devised for Reagan's Inauguration Dinner at the White House in 1980 — is fantastic.

This time we ate at the Victorian Corner in Pacific Grove, the Sea Harvest in Monterey, the Monterey Fish House, the Whaling Station in Monterey, the Fish Wife by Asilomar — then headed South on Highway 1 down to Moonstone Beach where we ate at Linn's in Cambria, Dorn's Original Breakers in Morro Bay, and of course — Taco Temple in Morro Bay.  We generally split a dinner — then we have room for dessert and coffee.

Starting tomorrow and possibly through next week, some of the largest waves to hit the Coast in 10 - 15 years will be impacting from Half-Moon Bay down the Coastline to Big Sur.  Predictions are for 30 to 40 foot breakers, up to 50 — and some of the experts are predicting 60 footers.  The surfing competition event called Maverick is scheduled tentatively for Tuesday and Thursday.  Professionals are coming in from around the world.  And women will be competing also.  This is due to a low pressure system between Hawaii and the Aleutians affecting the waves, according to NOAA.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.