Drag Washer for Shimano TTS50W

Started by cubeye, January 20, 2019, 06:31:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cubeye

I've had this reel for a very long time. It's old, Shimano does't make it any more nor do they support spare parts for it, but there are a lot of used and new parts available.

I've decided to replace the cloth drag washer in it with a new one that I found on the internet. Shimano calls it a "Titanium Drag Washer", but it's far from being titanium. The washer sits on the end of the spool and is locked in place with four pins that are attached close to the center of the spool. The metal washer then sits on top of the cloth washer.

I've notices over the years, that the cloth washer wants to spin on the spool, but the pins stop it. When this happens, the cloth washer tends to get distorted due to the pins stopping it.

Now for the question:
I would like to glue the cloth washer to the spool to keep it from moving. This is what Avet did to their small reels. They did away with replaceable fiber washer and simply glued it to the spool.

Does anyone know of a "double sticky back tape", or a "transfer tape", or epoxy, or spray adhesive that I can use to do the job? The drag material is "cloth" and will absorb any type of liquid "glue", and of course, heat should be considered in the choice of adhesive.

I would like to replace this cloth washer with a carbon fiber washer, but no one makes it. But if I could find someone that sells the material, I could cut one to size.

alantani

i think you can get a carbontex drag from dawn at smoothdrag.com
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

handi2

Yes Smooth Drag has the washer you need.

Keith

OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

cubeye

Thank you.  I have emailed Smoothdrag as I did not see it on their website.  I did see their
Beastmaster drags and also their TLD50 drag washers, but not the TTS50W washers.  (Triton Trolling Series)

cubeye

I've just been informed that Smoothdrag does not have what I need.  Looks like I might have to go online in search on some material to make one.

I've read some of the old posts on the subject.  I will try those vendors.