Thoughts on the bait cannon?

Started by FatTuna, December 13, 2018, 05:20:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

FatTuna

Regardless of practicality, you have to admit that this thing has entertainment value.

Yeah, I'm not sure how that guy was compressing it on the beach. Maybe he had a gas generator too. Maybe they make battery operated models?

*I just watched the video again and noticed something. At 3:26 you can see a large battery and a beach cart. He must wheel everything down and then run a car air compressor off of that. 

Shark Hunter

Life is Good!

David Hall

Who doesn't need a canon?  I mean besides chunking bait think of the myriad other things you can do with it when your not fishing.
Harass your friends and neighbors as they drive through your neighborhood.
Pass beers to your buddies across town!
I could come up with a thousand and one uses for such a fine piece of machinery and I'd buy one.
Except I might already have one buried in my shed.

mhc

I'm going to hold out for a smaller version that can be used on your shoulder for sight casting in the shallows.

Mike
It can't be too difficult - a lot of people do it.

sharkman

I have looked at those things. Watched videos with varying opinions. They look cool. I am afraid the beach cops would have me in handcuffs after the first shot. Wonder about ordinances.

David Hall

I checked my local beaches and none of them has a NO CANONs sign posted. ;D

Brewcrafter

I like David's thinking.  Better to do and apologize afterwards than to ask permission and be told "no"!

Decker

This thread should be pinned!!  Hear, hear!

Cuttyhunker

There was a hand held golf ball cannon at a charity tournament this summer used a compressed air chamber charged from a scuba tank, not unlike the high end pre-charged air rifles.  Made the 325 yard par 4 "drivable"
Doomed from childhood

ez2cdave

Quote from: Shark Hunter on December 13, 2018, 06:05:32 AM
It is $499 on their website plus $100 to ship.
I would say you could get a decent drone to do the same thing, only better.
Then you wouldn't have to freeze your bait into a torpedo.
If it is too Dangerous to Kayak, I'm fine with casted baits.
If I needed a bait cannon, I would make a home made one.
A potato gun can shoot just as far, and costs only a few dollars to make.
Too bad sharks don't like taters. ;D

Hi, Daron !

Speaking of "Spud Guns" . . . PDF's below.

Tight Lines !

Dave F.

Breadfan

Quote from: oc1 on December 13, 2018, 07:38:34 PM
It looks like the cannon used 75 pounds of compressed air.  Better than setting off an internal combustion, but you would have to drag a compressor, or at least a hand pump, around with it.  Then you'll need a good cooler to keep the bait cartridge frozen.  I don't know.  Fishing is supposed to be relaxing.
-steve

We have a potato cannon at our yearly deer hunt that we play "potato roulette" with around the campfire (we shoot it straight up) and we use a diver's CO2 tank for the compressed air. Two tanks last the whole weekend. It's very portable and complete with a pressure gauge.

JasonGotaProblem

Air cannons are cool and all, but why stop there? If you gotta bring a power source to the beach anyway make a bait rail gun and call it a day.
Any machine is a smoke machine if you use it wrong enough.

Mic

Quote from: JasonGotaPenn on February 11, 2021, 12:31:43 PM
Air cannons are cool and all, but why stop there? If you gotta bring a power source to the beach anyway make a bait rail gun and call it a day.

Don't know what a Rail Gun cost to build, but compressed air, nitrogen whatever, has got to be cheaper than a railgun

Mic

JasonGotaProblem

Quote from: Mic on February 11, 2021, 02:58:33 PM

Don't know what a Rail Gun cost to build, but compressed air, nitrogen whatever, has got to be cheaper than a railgun

Mic
Depends how far and how fast ya wanna launch it. You can make a "proof of concept" model for 20 bucks that'll launch something a few feet. Or for about 2 grand you can launch something a literal mile. And yes i use the term "literal" correctly. The numbers involved in describing the huge version the Navy built are hard to wrap your brain around.

I was mostly being facetious suggesting it, there's not a braided line in existence that wouldn't snap under the acceleration those things achieve while launching if you build it to have any meaningful power. Also the "rails" (the source of the name) are only good for about 100 launches, plus or minus 100 due to the incredible forces they must sustain. That's part of the reason you dont see more practical applications of the tech. Well, that and the circuitry wrecking EMP produced. Nobody likes those.
Any machine is a smoke machine if you use it wrong enough.

Rancanfish

That would be perfect for shooting old bait balls at the cars passing behind my house with the 'beat' blaring!
I woke today and suddenly nothing happened.