Worst backlash ever

Started by GulfOfBothnia, September 12, 2011, 04:34:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bryan Young

Thumb the spool, not the line.  If you thumb the line, the line will stop or slow, but the spool will keep on spinning...and you get line burn on your thumb too.

Casting a 4/0 reel isn't so tough.  The fact that you have anywhere from a 6 oz to a 16 oz lead hanging down 8-10 feet from the tip of your 12-15' casting rod, thumb strength, flex in the rod, and timing is what gets you.  My friends are still casting 6/0 reels.  Most have converted to extend 4/0s (113HLW) because of size and weight of the reel during my time.

Although 4/0s and 6/0s (and Newell sized equivalences) have given way to the Toriums and Trinidads 40s and 50s size.  And now, they are looking for a new reel.

But, you will still see a lot of Jigmasters and 4/0s out there.  They are know as good starter reels for someone wanting to get into surfcasting in Hawaii.  Relatively inexpensive, takes a lot of ocean abuse, and easy to fix.

My worst backlast was on the practice field (football field).  50 yards-ish.  Thankfully, it was 50# mono.  I can only imagine 50 yards backlash with braid.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D