Re-Using Tiburon Knobs

Started by mrwilson99, January 08, 2019, 05:14:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mrwilson99

Hi All,

I am wondering if Tiburon knobs can be re-used once drilled out? Is there a replacement shaft? I found Tiburon handles for a SOLTERRA SLX-50W that I want to use, however once drilled the knob becomes unusable. Any replacement shafts that Tiburon sells?
David

alantani

the tib knobs that i am familiar with just bolt on, and off, so they should be movable. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

RowdyW

The best one to ask is Tiburon. They might know if it is possible to replace the shaft in their handles.

mrwilson99

I just did a search, looks like these tiburon handles are pressed down and does not use the allen wrench bolts. Looks like tiburon won't sell just the replacement shaft with the allen wrench bolts. I am trying to buy just a tiburon knob for my penn fathom 2 speed to match my makairas. I might have to buy a whole one (arm and knob) just to take the knob.
David

mrwilson99

These are the knobs I am referring to, but looks like they are pressed in.

David

Alto Mare

Quote from: alantani on January 08, 2019, 05:20:40 AM
the tib knobs that i am familiar with just bolt on, and off, so they should be movable. 

Same here! be cautious, threads are counterclockwise.

Rudy has a good suggestion.

sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Rivverrat

Tiburon has the handle & knob your looking for. I've used them. One gripe I have regarding the Penn Fathom & Torques is the handle is a bit lite. They can bend a little to easy.

The Tib handle takes care if this... Jeff

They are listed here....

https://www.tiburonfishingreels.com/t-bar-lite

thorhammer

The older Tib handles that were the original Area Rule T-Bar licensing screw on. They are quite a bit stouter than the new ones.

Rivverrat

Quote from: thorhammer on January 08, 2019, 01:06:21 PM
The older Tib handles that were the original Area Rule T-Bar licensing screw on. They are quite a bit stouter than the new ones.

This is what I thought. I've not come across any that were a press fit. It wouldnt make much sense to me.

However I in no way have the number or variety of reels come across my bench that others here do... Jeff

thorhammer

I'll try to post a comparison pic when I get home. I just took Area Rule handle off 16/0 for my Sal handle. The other week. It was originally 4/0 size and WAY overkill for that reel size.

alantani

the center cap unscrews.  what about the other side?
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

gstours

My experience with the tiberon knob is that you must use the tib crank arm to mate the bottom of the knob shaft to.   It's a square milled recess halfway thru the crank arm, the screw goes thru it and pulled the arm into the square of the shaft making it secure....   okuma  has made these similar on the Cavella11 series with a stainless steel crank arm.  The whole arm can be married to another reel by using parts of each.
   The Solterra11 series the knob is riveted to the crank arm ant these I've used but must be tig welded to mate with another reel.  The okuma rubber knob is fairly inexpensive from their parts dept.
   Hope this helps.   

Alto Mare

Here you go guys:

As Gary mentioned the bottom part of the shaft is keyed and gets set into the handle blade with the same cutout as a standard 4/o handle for the gear sleeve. the top is held in place by a washer that has to be exact and it is pressed in.
A C -clip would do just as good there.

This one came from a 4/0, way overkill if you ask me.
It wouldn't cause any problem on any handle, but if we did the same in construction, we wouldn't be so lucky.

I do maintenance on a couple of reels for a friend once a year, those usually catch nice size fish.
The shaft on his handle are the same as the one I'm showing above for comparison:

Those always come back looking good.

I also want to mention that there are many types of stainless steel, some are very soft, actually softer than the stock brass parts

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

gstours

If your crank arm is alum, like the tib one it could be welded to the Fathom blank?   Sometimes that is an option in mating custom stuff. ::)

mrwilson99

as suggested, either I buy the penn torque arm/knob or just drill out and get alan's knob and case closed. I will also attempt to reach out to Okuma and see how much they sell their arm/knob for.

Thanks all!
David