D-A-M Quick Junior 245/245D Schematic

Started by festus, January 11, 2019, 12:00:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

festus

I've checked all over the internet and this site and can't find this schematic. Does anyone have one they can share? 

From what I've seen pictures of these reels, they aren't built anything similar to the later Finessa series.

Also, how do these compare in size and weight to the 110 or 220 series?

mo65

Hey Chester, no schematics, but this site has a ton of Dam Quick info.

http://home.kpn.nl/roland.lindenberh/index.html
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

festus

Quote from: mo65 on January 11, 2019, 12:20:31 AM
   Hey Chester, no schematics, but this site has a ton of Dam Quick info.

http://home.kpn.nl/roland.lindenberh/index.html

Yeah Mo, I used that site earlier today to determine which Junior model I have coming. It's either a 245 or 245D. 

I'd kept my eye on EBay for this set of parts reels for several days and won the auction last night.  The Junior is part of the deal.  Not too bad pricewise, they came out to $5.66 each with shipping included.

I was outbid on this same set a couple months ago. Somebody didn't pay up and it was back on the auction a couple weeks ago.

festus

The Junior arrived yesterday with a bundle of assorted parts reels.  I still haven't found a schematic, but it appears to be the Quick Junior № 245 with quick release spool, circa 1960. 

It has a foldable handle nut held by a rolled pin at the upper end of the crank.  There is only one metal drag washer plus a resistex washer under the spool.  Interesting.  Don't know if is missing any washers but the drag seems to work as is. 

The anti-reverse is functioning, the handle turns stiffly, and and the spool is oscillating ok.  The bail is trying to work, pretty sure it just needs taken apart and cleaned and it will function correctly.

I might do a teardown today with pics, if I get stuck on something or confused, I'm sure there are plenty of folks on here to help.

festus

This one looks different than any D-A-M Quick I've seen internally.

mo65

Quote from: festus on January 13, 2019, 08:24:31 PM

Me too Chester...that looks like a Mitchell style design.
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

Midway Tommy

Quote from: festus on January 13, 2019, 08:24:31 PM

That's because it was one of Dam's earlier designs and sort of an economy model at the time. FYI, the Herter's 109 is the exact same reel. Both came in red, green and black color.

Here's what the 1951/52 first 240 Junior full bail looks like. It came in olive with a dark green or black cup. Notice the body is heart shaped rather than the latter oval/egg shape. 
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

festus

Thanks for the pic, Midway Tommy.  Cool looking reel.  I certainly don't remember ever seeing one around these parts, well, never saw one like mine either.  I put mine back together for now and it'll be a project sometime in the future.  It just happened to be a bonus in the bunch of parts reels I got yesterday.

BTW, that bunch of parts reels has already been put to good use.

I have a 441N that's needed an axle.  The original axle was bent.  There was a partial 331N in the box I got yesterday.  It had a good axle, and it interchanged with the 441N.  I also needed a couple drag washers for the 441N.  There was also a NOS N series spool in the box, those same washers fit the 441N. So now my 441N is ready to go.  It also included 4 metal Finessa spools that will be handy.  Plus gears, slides, handles, springs, and many other parts that will be needed eventually.

foakes

Here is a schematic & parts list, Festus —

I just pulled this out of one of the boxed reels.

There were various models of the "Juniors" starting in 1950 — and running through the very early 60's.

Tommy's is a very good example of the earliest Junior.

DQ felt that they needed a lower price point — which was likely true.  The quality of some of the components is as good as the more expensive DQ's.  However, there were enough quality of materials and manufacturing shortcuts to make this reel not very durable.  But from an entry level reel standpoint to compete with Langley, Mitchell, and even their own products — it was successful.

Some of the bodies were heart-shaped, some like yours were egg-shaped.

These reels were based on the size of the SW68's and Standards.

I may not only have the largest organized selection of NOS parts for these Juniors in the world — but as far as I know — it is very likely one of the only parts selections.

There are bodies, rotors, side plates, spools, all exterior and interior parts, gears, cranks, drag knobs, etc..  

All of the schematics are pretty much the same.

Some of the reels I have in the Juniors are green, maroon, grey two-tone, and even black in the cases of the ones made for Herter's that were badged as 109's.

Most folks likely do not know what I am referring to — but I also have similar, if not more, organized parts for the S.W. 68's, 250's, Standards, 238's, and 248's.

Glad to help with parts, if there is something you could use.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

festus

Thanks for the schematic, Fred.  What type material are the Kegelrad and the Keglerad mit Asche made from? (lol, pinion and main gear)  Teflon? 

After further disassembly, I found the major problem with the Junior.  The bail trip ramp is bent out of shape in an upward direction.  Not much I can do there except replace the entire case.  Don't think I'll pursue fixing this one, the handle and handle knob screw are bent and the entire reel is in bad shape cosmetically.  It was just thrown into the deal as a bonus with some Finessas, 330, and 330N, good learning experience nevertheless. 

Today I rebuilt a 330 and replaced the defective bail wire with another from a 285 Finessa.   Got some more Finessas torn down and will see if I can get another operational one put together. 

foakes

Quote from: festus on January 14, 2019, 09:34:06 PM
Thanks for the schematic, Fred.  What type material are the Kegelrad and the Keglerad mit Asche made from? (lol, pinion and main gear)  Teflon?  

After further disassembly, I found the major problem with the Junior.  The bail trip ramp is bent out of shape in an upward direction.  Not much I can do there except replace the entire case.  Don't think I'll pursue fixing this one, the handle and handle knob screw are bent and the entire reel is in bad shape cosmetically.  It was just thrown into the deal as a bonus with some Finessas, 330, and 330N, good learning experience nevertheless.    

The main and pinion are likely made out of Dupontsche Nylonstrümpfe — although a few early ones are made from metal, Festus.

A new ramp can be installed.  Here is the copper bail trip ramp ring, along with the proper rivets.  It is a simple operation.  Could also send you a new handle, crank knob screw, and a new knob.

N/C, if you feel up to restoring this old puppy.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

festus

Again, thanks for the offer, Fred, but I'll pass on the Junior parts this time.  I figured you had a good size collection of them.  I have so many reels that'll probably see no use already and really need to concentrate on some classic rods. 

Hopefully this year I can get around to fishing.  The last 3 or 4 years my hands have pretty well been tied due to illness in the family.  Pretty much know which reels will get the most use, the D-A-M Quick 110N, 221, 331, 441N, 270 Super, Penn Jigmaster, Baymaster 180, Penn 9 and Penn 350, along with my Abu 5000B with clicker and Abu 6000.  Looking maybe into either installing a clicker on one of my Abu 4600 or buying a sideplate with the clicker already installed.

foakes

Understand, Festus —

I will toss them back in the bin.

Best,

Fred

--------

Fred O.