Oddball spool--Another D-A-M question

Started by festus, January 17, 2019, 12:37:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

festus

Can anyone identify this spool?  It's a two piece with three screws fastening it together from the bottom.  It has one metal drag washer, that's all.  Also the hole isn't big enough to fit a brake spindle, but undoubtedly it uses a ratchet wheel because it has the spring and ratchet dog.

This spool was loose in a shipment of Finessa 285 and 330.  It is the same diameter as the 285 and 330. 

I'm thinking it's from an earlier reel.

festus

Think I got it figured out.  I was wrong, this wasn't one of the loose spools.  Looks like maybe one of these reels was the Finessa 280 that has no brake spindle and no quick release push buttons spool. My bad.  :-\

festus

Looking back at one of Fred's posts it appears this is a 280 spool. No quick release button and a red brake nut circa 1956. My reel says Made in Germany with a serial number. Apparently mine is missing a washer, but l think l have one that will fit.

http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=23152.msg254666#msg254666

oldmanjoe

:)   Yes you found a old one .    looks good..
Grandpa`s words of wisdom......Joey that thing between your shoulders is not a hat rack.....    use it.....
A mind is like a parachute, it only work`s  when it is open.......
The power of Observation   , It`s all about the Details ..
 Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.   Alto Mare

festus

Is it normal for a Finessa 280 spool only to contain one single metal washer?

I was able to build 2 fully functioning 280, a 285 and also a 330 out of those parts reels.  The 330 might be a Frankenreel, looks like it has a Finessa body and the 8 screw (4 screws on each side) assembly.  Plus there are bunches of leftover parts that will be handy, soon I hope.

mo65

Quote from: festus on January 22, 2019, 11:07:00 PM
Is it normal for a Finessa 280 spool only to contain one single metal washer?

I have a 270 like that Chester. It might not be normal, but it is correct. I added a thin fiber washer between the metal washer and spool. I think it's an improvement.
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~