What's the limit for the newer C3 Ambassadeurs? Share your story..

Started by Mrc70, January 30, 2019, 09:54:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Keta

Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

nelz

Keta

Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

tholmes

I've caught freshwater stripers up to 35 lbs. and flathead catfish up to 50 lbs. on my 5000C and 5500C3 Ambassadeurs without and mechanical issues. Both have carbontex drags and AR dogs. The newer Ambassadeurs with IAR are mostly used for bass, walleye and northern pike fishing and have never been severely tested.

Tom

nelz

Quote from: tholmes on February 02, 2019, 05:31:57 PM
I've caught freshwater stripers up to 35 lbs. and flathead catfish up to 50 lbs. on my 5000C and 5500C3 Ambassadeurs without and mechanical issues. Both have carbontex drags and AR dogs. The newer Ambassadeurs with IAR are mostly used for bass, walleye and northern pike fishing and have never been severely tested.

Tom

Did you add a A/R dog to your 5500C3? I thought they were all IAR, did they used to be dog only in earlier models?

steelfish

Quote from: Donnyboat on February 01, 2019, 03:58:06 PM
I caught a 15Kg shark on my 5000, it has two drag dogs & CF drag washers

Do you have pics of how you installed the 2nd dog on your abu?

I have a 6600C pretty sturdy on which I would like to add a 2nd dog.

I still working on how to add a dog to my abu 6500c3 and my newest addition, an Abu Record 60, it has a pretty strong IAR bearing but installing a backup dog would be golden, working on it too.

The Baja Guy

Mrc70

I want a C3 6500 for inshore fishing but I want it to be able to hold up to a bigger fish if I hook one. Or at least have a chance. I will search this site on how to beef up the anti reverse on these reels !

tholmes

Quote from: nelz on February 02, 2019, 07:21:45 PM

Did you add a A/R dog to your 5500C3? I thought they were all IAR, did they used to be dog only in earlier models?

The older ones (mine is foot# 99 02) had the dog, newer ones had IAR bearings. I don't know when they made the switch.

Tom

thorhammer

We have had a member weigh in with actual weights, but I can say for certain plenty of old drum in 40-50lb class have come in by 6500 Abu's at the OBX. The CT Rockets, Blue Yonders, etc. are coveted.

tincanary

Quote from: Mrc70 on February 03, 2019, 01:30:10 AM
I want a C3 6500 for inshore fishing but I want it to be able to hold up to a bigger fish if I hook one. Or at least have a chance. I will search this site on how to beef up the anti reverse on these reels !

The 5500 and 6500 Inshore Classics pop up on eBay every so often.  They have stainless gears, 4" double paddle power handles, and a beefier frame than typical C3 and C4.  I want to say the frame is chromed brass like those used in the Pro Rockets.  I usually see them selling for ~$100 in nice shape.

steelfish

Quote from: Mrc70 on February 03, 2019, 01:30:10 AM

Define a "big fish" in size and weight.

I just got an Abu record 60 and oh boy, you can feel the difference in the reel compared to the c3, it feels solid as rock, even the sideplates are thicker than the classic c3, seems like its no longer made but I think it worth the time and money to search for one, I dont know the limit of the reel but pretty sure it would hadle a nice sized fish better than the c3 model, maybe the drag is equal in both reels but abu record would have less or no flex with using max drag on a bigger fish
http://www.tackletour.com/reviewabugarciarecord.html

The Baja Guy

sabaman1

Living here in San Diego myself. I love fishing the local inshore areas myself for various species of fish. Having said that, I would have to say the local homeguard yellowtail living around kelp beds and other structures can get quite large and with that they are very powerful brutes when it comes to the challenge of conquering one and bringing it to gaff. So rather than risking the chance of destroying your cherished Abu reel after you have spent money trying to upgrade a reel designed for freshwater fishing. I would like to graciously suggest investing in a Penn Fathom star drag reel, possibly a size 12 or 15. Awesome reels for their size ! Hope this helps!

Jim

JIM

Mrc70

I agree, Jim.  A decent size yellow is nothing to mess around with..  especially if the seals and kelp are around..  I will get an abu but only use it for bay/harbor fishing..

sabaman1

Good choice! The yellowtail you see in my avatar went 26lbs caught at box canyon off the coast of North San Diego county on a 700m Calstar with a Daiwa saltist 30 loaded with 50lb power pro and a short topshot of 30lb yozuri hybrid, even with that it was quite a challenge bringing it to gaff with a
sea lion next to the boat and other anglers pulling on their fish also. Tight lines too you!
JIM