Serious issue encountered with 112H double dog bridge!!

Started by rscotth, February 02, 2019, 03:09:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Reel 224

Boys the reverse angle on the on dog helps get it out of the way with very little alteration. I have two DD bridges the I am installing with the new plates the Tom made. I'm sure that going to work.

Sal: If Chewie is willing to correct the minor glitch. I would suggest sending the dogs that are arched like the one that is pictured on the left. IMO

Joe
"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."

mhc

It would be good to see a photo of the curved dog on the problem post Joe, I think there would still be clearance issues  ???
I wish I had one of these on hand to experiment with, but it seems the existing dog post is just too close to the upper bridge screw to work and would also get in the way of some options to relocate the post. With the benefit of hindsight, the post would likely have been OK a post width further from the bridge screw and maybe a shorter 'lever' for the spring.

Then I thought maybe the existing post could be cut flush with the bridge and a new hole drilled, but I think the remains of the old post right next to a new peened post would weaken/reduce the support from the bridge.
I'm thinking Sal's idea of moving the dog and spring to a different location would probably be the least painful.

Mike

PS: A narrow one piece dog and post also came to mind but it's probably not strong enough for a 112H  ::) ;D 
It can't be too difficult - a lot of people do it.

Alto Mare

Hello Mike, thanks for coming in with your ideas, it is very much appreciated. As you're showing was actually my very first attempt, but I was trying to use the dogs unaltered.

Custom plates are already milled and I don't think it would be fair for anyone to grind those afterwards, so I think I will give it another shot, by cutting the dog short as you are showing.
This should keep everything as close as it was originally.

With that said, I have no idea on how Tom's milled plate will work.
I did send Tom a bridge as close as the one I will be posting, so it should work out.

Tom did not have to do this, but when he was asked he said he would try...thanks again Tom.

Sal
Quote from: Reel 224 on February 03, 2019, 03:51:34 AM
Boys the reverse angle on the on dog helps get it out of the way with very little alteration. I have two DD bridges the I am installing with the new plates the Tom made. I'm sure that going to work.

Sal: If Chewie is willing to correct the minor glitch. I would suggest sending the dogs that are arched like the one that is pictured on the left. IMO

Joe
Hello Joe, I don't quiet get what you're saying.

Here is another pic of the 2 curved dogs, both dogs are perfectly square with the ratchet:

Again, to me this would be the best layout, but the custom plate would need to be grinded and I don't want members to do so...if I could help it.

Thanks Joe

Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Reel 224

I was saying exactly that setup. From the picture it looks to me that one dog has to be shortened on the right. on the leg because it's extending over the bridge a little. If this is not due-able then something is wrong with my thinking, please tell me.

Joe
"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."

Alto Mare

Quote from: Reel 224 on February 03, 2019, 02:07:43 PM
I was saying exactly that setup. From the picture it looks to me that one dog has to be shortened on the right. on the leg because it's extending over the bridge a little. If this is not due-able then something is wrong with my thinking, please tell me.

Joe
Oh, that's what you meant Joe, no the tail is even with the bridge, it shows otherwise from the pic.
You could see this from the last pic of the bridge mounted on the plate on the previous page.

Ok, here is my last attempt and it is headed down to Alan. It has been tested and everything is working as it should

If they want to taper the dog as I'm showing, it will be up to them. Dog will work just fine if left wide at the tip.

Not the best shot, but working the dremel  a nice pin could be shaped on the dog to hold the spring

I am now done with this one, it is now in Alan's hands and his guys.

Sal

Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Gman_WC

Thanks for the R&D Sal. Looks like lot's of hours in a cold basement.
-g
Walnut Creek, CA

Reel 224

;) ;D Great Sal, another upgrade was successfully accomplished.

Joe 

foakes

Great work, Sal!

If I was on a wagon train heading West — Sal would have to be on board.

Because he can do and fix anything.

Solutions are generally tougher to find than problems.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Bill B

Good work guys.  R&D and custom parts have a growing period, some are painless and others require patience.  Without this crew no of this would be possible.....Bill
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

handi2

Hopefully i will get into the shop today to check the 2 DD bridges i have.

Sal dont you have one in the Tank reel?

Keith
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

Alto Mare

Quote from: handi2 on February 03, 2019, 08:47:25 PM

Keith
Hello Keith, yes I do have the 113h DD bridge, but I'm not sure on what I'm checking for.
I did not experience any problems with the jigmaster bridge, or 113hbridge and I'm not aware if you or any one else did.
The only bridge in question is the 112h.
In order for anything to work to perfection the person testing would need to have all parts prior to production, it's the only way.
I'm not in charge here, like I said above I'm just giving my time to the site to help out when asked.
As far as the 112h goes, we' re just guessing at this point if the custom bridge will work with the custom plates.
Even though all the parts are well made, they need to get along.

Sal

Sal

Reel 224

Every one of us are not perfect we are learning every day Sal, and your right some times you have to hold it in your hands to get a solution. Ride on brother.

Joe

oldmanjoe

:)  Customizing equals time and tinkering.    Well done gents, enjoyed the read.
Grandpa`s words of wisdom......Joey that thing between your shoulders is not a hat rack.....    use it.....
A mind is like a parachute, it only work`s  when it is open.......
The power of Observation   , It`s all about the Details ..
 Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.   Alto Mare

handi2

Quote from: Alto Mare on February 03, 2019, 09:31:10 PM
Quote from: handi2 on February 03, 2019, 08:47:25 PM

Keith
Hello Keith, yes I do have the 113h DD bridge, but I'm not sure on what I'm checking for.
I did not experience any problems with the jigmaster bridge, or 113hbridge and I'm not aware if you or any one else did.
The only bridge in question is the 112h.
In order for anything to work to perfection the person testing would need to have all parts prior to production, it's the only way.
I'm not in charge here, like I said above I'm just giving my time to the site to help out when asked.
As far as the 112h goes, we' re just guessing at this point if the custom bridge will work with the custom plates.
Even though all the parts are well made, they need to get along.

Sal

Sal

I got it now. Its only the 112H bridge in question. Thanks again.

Keith
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

Reel 224