Serious issue encountered with 112H double dog bridge!!

Started by rscotth, February 02, 2019, 03:09:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sdlehr

Sal, these last few modifications you've posted involve moving the dog post, right? I see more holes in the bridge, I think that's what's going on.... hard to tell without side-by-side pics. If so, that won't be a fix everyone can do well/easily at home....
Sid Lehr
Veterinarian, fishing enthusiast, custom rod builder, reel collector

Alto Mare

Quote from: sdlehr on February 04, 2019, 02:10:54 PM
Sal, these last few modifications you've posted involve moving the dog post, right? I see more holes in the bridge, I think that's what's going on.... hard to tell without side-by-side pics. If so, that won't be a fix everyone can do well/easily at home....
Challenging operation, but if I can do it, so could anyone else. Make sure you have good drill bits, the bridge is very hard to drill and so is tapping it for the screw.

My post are made from ss screws as a temporary fix, not a good choice, but it would work. I did this so they could see what's going on and have the location of the new dog as well, with no chance of getting it moved.

Peened posts is always the best choice.

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Reel 224

Excuse me for butting in but I think Sid is right, your explanation of the procedure in order to make that fix is not going to be in everyone's capability. I would not be happy to pay for those bridges and go threw that if I didn't have the eqiptment. But I have thousands of dollars of eqiptment to do that.

I thought it was checked out before to see if they were fitting right, I could be wrong. But that's not a simple fix. just my opinion.

Joe       
"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."

Reel 224

I gave this a little more thought and I would say there is got to be another way to do the fix without drilling and taping. Just change the dog configuration itself. and send everyone the new dog.

Joe

"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."

foakes

At this point, with the information and testing we have available —

There are likely (3) options —

(1) If another dog of the proper size so as to not interfere with the jack, yoke, and hole can be designed — just do that and ship one to each client that has bought this drop in unit.  

(2) Send out another complete proper drop-in unit to each client — with the dog post in the right position.

(3) Full refund if either of the above two options can not be accomplished.

The required mod cannot be accomplished by the average guy, easily — and that is why a drop-in unit was purchased in the first place.

Just a cost of doing business.  Glitches happen — and when they do — they need to be addressed and handled quickly and completely.

I am sure Alan C. is working out a solution as we speak.

He has offered valuable products to our Ohana — with very few issues (any issues have been always taken care of by Alan C.) — for a long time now.  And I expect that this little issue will be handled with class.

Best,

Fred

This is what some of us suggested originally as the best fix —

I gave this a little more thought and I would say there is got to be another way to do the fix without drilling and tapping. Just change the dog configuration itself. and send everyone the new dog.

Joe

The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Black Pearl

Hi all,

I will replace those bridges have been sold. The following will be the options.

1.) Full refund
2.) Replace with new design bridge with modify dog. Customers will ship back bad bridge to me for replacement.

I will pay for the shipping both ways.

If there is any question, please let me know.

Sorry for the mistake.

Thanks,
--Alan

Alto Mare

Thanks Fred, you pretty much always get it.
Quote from: Reel 224 on February 04, 2019, 04:25:33 PM
I gave this a little more thought and I would say there is got to be another way to do the fix without drilling and taping. Just change the dog configuration itself. and send everyone the new dog.

Joe

Hello Joe,
My drilling and tapping is done so I could send the sample to Alan, that bridge is only used as a template and will be trashed afterwards.

No one is getting a new bridge with drilled posts, those will be peened ...as they should be.

Alan should get it by tomorrow.

Sal

Sorry Alan...typing at the same time...

Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

foakes

Thank You —

Everyone who has addressed and handled this issue so well — thoughtfully & professionally.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Reel 224

Sal,Alan,Fred: I hope everyone realizes that I'm trying to help both Alan with a less costly fix and I was not implying any malice to anyone neither Sal or Alan C. I as a business and producer I know what pains taking work it takes to develop a new product.

Thanks Alan for addressing this situation so quickly. I also have two bridges that I will return for a replacement.

Joe   

Black Pearl

Quote from: Reel 224 on February 04, 2019, 05:51:48 PM
Sal,Alan,Fred: I hope everyone realizes that I'm trying to help both Alan with a less costly fix and I was not implying any malice to anyone neither Sal or Alan C. I as a business and producer I know what pains taking work it takes to develop a new product.

Thanks Alan for addressing this situation so quickly. I also have two bridges that I will return for a replacement.

Joe   

Just hold on to them for now. I will start replacing them when I have those new one ready.

sdlehr

Alan Chui is taking care of this problem the best way possible and is to be commended. I'm sure a few lessons were learned in this process..... In the end, everything will be ok. If everything is not ok, it simply means that it is not yet the end.
Sid Lehr
Veterinarian, fishing enthusiast, custom rod builder, reel collector

Reel 224

Quote from: sdlehr on February 04, 2019, 08:46:37 PM
Alan Chui is taking care of this problem the best way possible and is to be commended. I'm sure a few lessons were learned in this process..... In the end, everything will be ok. If everything is not ok, it simply means that it is not yet the end.

We have no reason to think otherwise. Just give the time to put heads together.

Joe

Reel 224

Alan Chui: I will fix the two DD Bridges myself when I have time. It would be simpler for me to do that then send them back and make you pay shipping back and forth.

In business Joe off the hook

Shark Hunter

Life is Good!

Reel 224

These Small Business here are just that. SMALL! I believe everyone is trying there best to put out the very best offers to the Alan Tani members that they possibly can produce. If so as a small business owner I feel an obligation to help when ever I can.

That is why I offered to help Alan Chui with my two bridges. Because I can.

Joe

Off the Hook Rod & Reel